We start the walk from the Big Round Tower on the main street of the city, which leads to the old town through the courtyard of artisans and St. Lorenz Square, to the central shopping area of the town, where the largest Christmas market in Europe took place annually. On the way, we see the famous museum bridge, the monument "Ship of fools", dine in the tavern of St. Sebald and return to the beginning of the path through Schleifersteg and Charles Bridge.
Today Nuremberg is surrounded by fortress walls, which included two cities: a city on the right and left banks of the Pegnitz River. Previously, the fortress wall and towers surrounded a much smaller area. Several towers of the ancient fortress walls still stand in the city.
This tower was originally square, like most towers of the city. It was made round and strengthened for more excellent protection against cannonballs. Near the tower is the village of artisans.
Nuremberg was an imperial city. Once an armory was in the courtyard near the gate. Tha craftsman courtyard renovated in 1971. In small half-timbered houses and narrow streets, modern artisans put up their crafts for sale.
There are strong ties between the former Free Imperial City and gold. Nuremberg was one of the most important jewelry centers in Germany. The workshop website says that Anke Klefeld founded her studio in Handverkerhof after studying at Pforzheim and long “wandering years” in Gelsenkirchen, Wattenscheid and Bochum. Since then, she has returned to Franconia and is delighted with a "harmonious atmosphere" in her first own business. You can peep at her work through the window, but it is better to go in and take a look.
It is a nice, quiet and calm place. Despite the Christmas rush in the city, this place is harmoniously quite. More locals come here and drink hot wine, exchanging local news, gossip, and good stories.
The Germans in Nuremberg consider themselves descendants of the Franks. Although Nuremberg is part of Bavaria, it belongs to the land of Franconia, where Nuremberg is the largest, though not the metropolitan, city. The language of the Franconians is different from the language of the Bavarians.
It is impossible to ignore the Rose Garden because of its English style. The owners of this place made sure that the spirit of Victorian England with its pink smells, objects, delicacies, and perfumes just hovered here. Nuremberg was severely damaged during the bombing at the end of World War II. All this part of the city is completely restored.
Christmas flower shop. Amaryllis or the more accurate name hippeastrum has become a symbol of Christmas and the new year relatively recently. The natural combination of red and green in this flower and the shape of the petals resembling a star of Bethlehem facilitated this tradition.
Although the tradition of the Christmas market in Nuremberg has initially been associated with the square near St. Mary's Church, in our time, the whole city becomes one big Christmas market. Nuremberg Christkindlsmarkt is one of the oldest and indeed the most famous Christmas markets in the world. In Stadtle wooden stalls - made of wood and fabric, artisans sell traditional, often handmade Christmas decorations and sweets, especially the Nuremberg gingerbread cookies.
The history of the Nuremberg gingerbread "lebkuchen" dates back to the fifteenth century. They say that even Frederick the third distributed small gingerbread to children for Christmas. Königstrasse translates as Royal Route. It ran from the large round tower to the royal castle. Either the children got their gingerbread cookies near the moat of the royal castle or on this street - it doesn’t matter. The main thing is that everyone had joy.
The miracle of ceramics Villeroy and Bock begins in Lorraine (France), then part of the Holy Roman Empire in the mid-eighteenth century, when Francois Bock, the imperial supplier of cannonballs, founded the production of the most beautiful ceramics.
Nuremberg was known as the city of toys. Here they made the most exciting and “smart” wooden toys. Nuremberg also has its architectural feature - it is protruding wooden or stone windows. They began their history as religious buildings in the thirteenth century and quickly became a structural feature of the city. Before the war, there were about 450 of them; now, almost 370 have been restored.
Honey candles are another Nuremberg tradition at Kristkindklmarkt. Unlike wax candles, these are made of honey and exude a delightful smell. The tradition of decorating a spruce wreath with four candles dates back to Advent - the four weeks of anticipation of the advent that precede Christmas Eve.
Opposite the bridge is the most famous and beautiful building of Nuremberg - the Hospital of the Holy Spirit. It was restored after the war. There are also Christmas tents on the bridge, but they sell vegetables and fruits. Not only gingerbread cookies are essential for Christmas!
Nuremberg was the imperial city of the Holy Roman Empire. Therefore, many historical inscriptions are made in Latin. Floods repeatedly destroyed the museum Bridge. Three arched spans are visible on the modern bridge from the first side and only two on the other. One of the arched spans represents a channel for the removal of excess water in the river. Such a construction prevents flooding.
This contemporary work by Jürgen Verber is based on a book that is over five hundred years old. The text of the medieval writer Sebastian Brant is relevant to this day. Ironically, two years before Christopher Columbus sailed to America, not knowing anything about it, in 1494, Sebastian Brant wrote the book The Ship of Fools. He portrayed deceitful politicians, greedy merchants, corrupt priests, and fake scientists, calling on a ship to sail into the land of fools. Jürgen Verber connected the plot of the book with the images of Albrecht Dürer - a native of Nuremberg and created this monument. In 1987, the statue was bought by the philanthropist Kurt Klutentreter and presented to the city.
The main Christmas market of Nurenberg was a swamp area on the banks of the Pegnitz in the 12th century. At that time Jews came to the city, who had been expelled from the Rhineland. They were first who settled on the swamp. After one hundred years two separate wall rings on the right and left of the Pegnitz, were closed. The Jewish found themselves located in the center of the city. With the consent of Emperor Charles IV, a pogrom occurred in 1349, in which almost 600 Jews were killed and the Jewish settlement destroyed.
Instead of the demolished houses of the Jewish ghetto, two significant marketplaces were created. The primary market was initially called "Green Market" or "Big Market." Trade developed well, and, being an imperial city, Nuremberg attracted many merchants from the south and north of Germany. So the tradition of large fairs began to appear. The largest fest usually took place before Christmas Eve during Advent. The tradition of miniatures is associated with Christmas figures of people and images present in the Milk Cave, where Jesus was born. Over time, this tradition spread to furniture, objects, half-timbered houses, and everything that can be depicted in miniature from everyday life. The feature of drawing modern images and objects became most popular during the development of Protestantism when depicting saints was forbidden.
Christmas trees as an attribute of Christmas appear in the first half of the 17th century in Germany. The first decorations followed Christian symbolism: the Star of Bethlehem at the top and apples were hung on the branches as a symbol of the fruits of Paradise. Apples have taken the shape of a ball, and this is the most common Christmas tree toy.
St. Mary's Church above the fairground stands on the site of the old Jewish synagogue. It uses the walls of the building, and its architecture is somewhat unusual for classical German churches.
If this is your first time in a traditional German restaurant, do not be surprised that you will be sent to a table with complete strangers. Eating sausage and drinking beer together is a national German specialty. Bratwurstglöcklein in Nuremberg says it is a place of traditional Franconian delicacies. Although this is the most suitable place to taste the famous Nuremberg sausage. Since 1313 the original Nuremberg sausages have been grilled on a beechwood fire next to the Sebalduskirche.
The main recipes of sausages contain marjoram, salt, pepper - these spices make up the unique taste of the Nuremberg sausage. With a sausage served a simple side dish. The side dish is either potato in its various manifestations or cabbage.
Leader beer is one of the local flocks. This brand appeared after Christian Lederer bought the brewery in 1814 and, thanks to a successful marriage with the banker's daughter, was able to get out of debt and sell the cheapest folk beer for a long time. After an immense investment, the brand began to work for its creator.
Behind the small wooden houses with beautiful New Year crafts hides one of the most famous sights of Nuremberg - the beautiful fountain. The Beautiful Fountain (Schönbrunnleitung) was built around 1388. Two springs fed it in Gleißhammer, far from Nurnberg. The pipe was originally made of wood, was later partially replaced by lead and was in use as one of the oldest utility water pipes in Nuremberg until the 20th century. An ancient local tradition tells that if you twirl the ring in the fence, then the wishes will come true. A young apprentice mounted this ring in a fence that was made by a master. He wanted to prove his skills and get married to the daughter of the master. But, the master turned out to be stupid and lost not only a good student but also a worthy son-in-law.
The whole secret of the Nuremberg gingerbread lies in the dough. The dough should be made from almond powder and almost without flour. The less flour there is in the gingerbread, the tastier it is. Sugar also does not belong in real gingerbread. Almonds add sweetness. The ratio of these ingredients is the secret of gingerbread.
The Schleifersteg connects the flea market island with the Fleischbänken on the northern side of the old town. Originally it was a wooden footbridge, which connected the seam market as the flea market island was once called because of the pigs traded there with the meat rows of the main market.
There was originally a wooden bridge between Lorenz's side of the old town and the flea market, which was destroyed in 1451. The following year, the Lange Bridge was built as a replacement, a covered wooden bridge that hung on stone pillars. This construction gave it the nickname Hanging Bridge. The first sandstone bridge was built in 1486 and is mostly in its original condition. In 1728 the bridge was renovated by the sandstone arch that still exists today. In honor of the then Emperor Charles VI. or his wife Elisabeth, the bridge was initially called Kaiserbrücke or Elisabethbrücke.
This work of Hella Rosner Bonlane shows the modern world in the eyes of the author. The whole globe is a trading space. People can neither save the globe nor care about its well-being. This is not possible in a world in which honest earnings go to taxes and bloody money is laundered for personal gain.
This monument is dedicated to the fallen and missing soldiers natives of Nuremberg as part of the twenty-first infantry regiment during the Second World War. The history of this regiment has a special symbolism for the inhabitants of Nuremberg. It would have been formed in 1921 after the First World War and equipped with the remnants of the state regiments 45, 46 and 47 and received the Bavarian prefix to its name. Despite this, during the beer coup Hitler in Munich, the regiment remained faithful to state power in Berlin. In 1934, after Hitler came to power, the regiment was divided into the Nuremberg and Bavarian composition.