Baths of Adonis and Aphrodite is a beautiful place with a waterfall and an old mill. Neophytos Monastery is a place where history, faith, and wonders of creation meet together. The cozy streets of the upper city will tell you about the modern history of the town and invite you to enjoy the local bar or restaurant.
Getting to the Adonis pool is not easy. The road leads through the hills, and almost not passable for cars in rainy weather. Moreover, if you use the rented vehicle, any damage to the bottom is not covered by insurance, and traveling to these places may not be cheap. At the same time, in dry weather, on the second gear, or the first one on ascents and even steep descents, and you can use the small private car, drive for a long time, and always shake. Some travelers choose to rent ATVs or mopeds. If you do not have the experience of driving a motorbike on a rocky road - it is better to use the ATV. The first parking in front of the entrance to the reserve. There is a closer one, but it is necessary to cross the course of concrete with a sharp injection - we, on our rented clunker, decided to walk a few hundred meters.
Right in front of the entrance stands a sculpture of Pampos Teodorou - the mastermind of these places. His work was not only in the revival and popularization of these places but also in literature and painting. As we understood at the entrance, you can get here by jeep. The statue of Zeus saluted at the gate and reminded of the payment. Admission is 10 euros per person.
The owner of the mill has always been considered a wealthy and respected person. Grind flour came peasants and monks from a nearby monastery. Large stone millstones were set in motion under the power of the flowing water of the stream. The mill has not been used for a long time, but the mill building and the miller's house are still good.
It is said that the mills and the houses of the millers have always been the object of interest of thieves. Usually, flour milling cost is not enough. Millers kept their money not in the bank but at the mill itself, but where exactly nobody knew except the miller. So there were fables that the miller died, he did not tell anyone about where the money was buried, and people's brains stirred the thoughts of the treasure. This is how the fate of this pleasant place began. The miller's son began to search for treasure in the old house.
There is nothing calmer than a sleeping cat. The cat is curled up on the enormous bed. The topic of sexuality and almost promiscuous sex is for some reason praised in this place. Maybe amid these deaf places, people had no other entertainment besides sex. In any case, sexual motives will accompany us all the time in this marvelous corner of nature.
He did not find the money but found a place. This old mill with a stream and a waterfall so captured the heart of Pampos Theodorou. That he began to restore the house, its decoration, old photos and notes from newspapers, all that is so touching today. The miller had two wives. The second had 12 children. The grandson of the miller found his treasure in this old house - the beauty of these places.
Probably, these places cast love lyrics. It is felt everywhere. A large wooden bed in the house, which is given great importance, the statues of goddesses and gods and the love story itself of Adonis and Aphrodite. The Baths of Adonis and Aphrodite were their favorite meeting place. The story speaks of the tragic death of Adonis from a ferocious boar, also occurred near the bath. He was mortally wounded and died in the arms of Aphrodite.
At the steep vertical rock that is found there, the crowds of youngsters dare to climb by balancing on the ropes to make dives in the cold waters of the lake. The less brave ones, on the other hand, prefer to make their dives in the cool waters from a lower point. do not be brave be prudent.
The path rises along the bed of the stream. this is not a well-equipped path and the hike along it is not safe. at the same time, these are untouched places of wild nature, and while the path allows you to walk along it.
The pond is below the waterfall, which is bounded by high cliffs on both sides and several trees bent over the water. Local tradition says that bathing in the baths of the god of beauty will help every woman to become younger and more beautiful, and this water will make men stronger. It is thick enough here, so the swimming pool is excellent for swimming and diving.
According to Greek mythology, Adonis and Aphrodite had many children who were born here, and all became citizens of Paphos, therefore, must be descendants of this couple in love. Meanwhile, Artemis, the goddess of the hunt, was jealous of Adonis for Aphrodite and tried to find a way to kill him. Her two attempts were not crowned with success, because Poseidon himself began to defend the god of beauty. Adonis was unlucky during the hunt, when he was mortally wounded, and he died in the arms of his lover near the bathhouse.
Saint Neophytos Monastery is one of the best-known monasteries in Cyprus. It was founded by monk Neophytos in the 12th century. The property is currently a museum consisting of the Engleistra (Place of Seclusion, built in a natural cave, with a small chapel) and the Monastery
This quiet secluded place in the mountains, shrouded in peace, saturated with clean air and a pleasant rustling of trees, fills with spiritual power and is remembered forever.
The Agios Neophytos Monastery was founded by Neophytos. After being jailed for pursuing an ascetic life, he fled into the hills of Cyprus and found a small natural cave in 1159. Months passed while he made sure the area was deserted and quiet. He slowly excavated the opening further to encompass his hermitage cell, a small chapel, and his eventual tomb. While it began as a hermitage for Neophytos alone, he eventually gained a small following and the Engleistra, as it was also called, became a quiet monastic community in 1170 when the Bishop of Paphos convinced him to take a pupil. Neophytos was staunchly against materialism and being bothered, which kept the population of monks much smaller than at other monasteries of the time. In his second Ritual Ordinance, he states that the number of monks was around fifteen or eighteen.
After, his death, he was buried within the Engleistra according to his detailed instructions. His successor, Isaias, is mentioned in the writings of Neophytos, but nothing is known about his time as abbot, nor is there any information about any other abbots during the 13th, 14th, or 15th centuries. However, it is speculated that the heads of the monastery following Neophytos did not hold to his isolationist lifestyle. The monastery was expanded, and new paintings and decorations were added over the centuries, although not very often. One major overhaul was undertaken by another monk named Neophytos in 1503, who ordered the renovation of several original artworks as well as additional new icons, all paid for with his own money. The community fluctuated between growth and decline for several centuries but became stagnant around the seventeenth century. In 1631, after the abbot Leontios set about to preclude its dissolution, it was declared to have precedence over all other monasteries on Cyprus by the Patriarch Cyril Loukaris from Constantinople. Over the last several centuries, the monastery and its buildings were often repaired and expanded upon to keep them from being lost to time. It continues to be inhabited to this day, and the monks within promote the publication of historical manuscripts written within their walls to preserve their history.
The main church of the monastery sits outside of the Engleistra. It is a sizeable Venetian-inspired basilica that appears to have been built sometime during the early 16th century.
The original Engleistra of Saint Neophytos consists of three parts: the church of the True Cross, the cell of Neophytos, and the Refectory. All three are carved into the steep rock face where Neophytos first wished to settle as a hermit. A large trapezoidal narthex lies at the entrance of the Engleistra, followed by the refectory on the north side and the cell on the south. The main body of the church and the bema are covered with wall paintings from throughout the history of the monastery. The eastern wall has a moderately sized cross-shaped niche which once housed a wooden cross that contained a piece of the True Cross, which was obtained by the founder Neophytos.
The majority of the paintings completed in the original Engleistra portion of the monastery during Neophytos’ life were done by Theodore Apsuedes in 1183, as mentioned in the saint’s writings and a surviving inscription in his cell. The further reaches of the monastery that were also painted in the twelfth century were completed later, most likely sometime after 1197. There are stylistic differences between the two areas that suggest it was painted by artists with varying backgrounds. Most of the paintings in the Engleistra follow traditional Byzantine church decoration like the Crucifixion and the Annunciation. However, there are some interesting deviations from the normal frescoes expected within.
One scene depicts the founder, Neophytos, alongside the archangels Michael and Gabriel at the very top of the ceiling. Another, verging on blasphemous, shows the monk attending a divine service within the mandorla of Christ. Neophytos is described as being a vain individual, which may explain why so many of the paintings outside of Biblical scenes seem to be monuments to his life and accomplishments.
A noninvasive study on the multitude of paintings adorning the walls of the monastery shows that there were at least five phases of painting done over the history of the Engleistra. Many of the pigments used contained high levels of lead, which suggests that the artists were trained in painting icons on wood, and not painting frescoes on walls. Many expensive pigments were also found, such as lapis lazuli, gold, and silver. These findings link the monastery to direct Byzantine influence in the fine arts, on top of the political influence due to Cyprus being under the control of Turks during the time of the majority of the paintings.
Upper Paphos or Ktima probably originated with the onset of Arab raids on Nea Pafos, around 647. For security reasons, the townspeople moved to their estates (ktima), located above: these houses were invisible from the sea, but they served their inhabitants as good observation points.
Mainly an indoor covered market in the center of town selling clothes, jewelry, shoes, pictures, art, handbags, lace tablecloths, leather goods, and tourist souvenirs, etc. in a Bazaar-style setting. An interesting and colorful market, big enough to occupy most for an hour or two. There is also an outside covered market, selling fresh fruit and vegetables, locally produced and less expensive than the supermarket. Near to the fruit and vegetable stalls is a small, fresh, fish shop.
Thanasis Euripides, a landscape gardener, created this wall of about 2,500 plants. For eight years, Euripides tried to make the walls and roofs of the houses of Cyprus “alive.” Initially, the designer met resistance regarding his idea. People on the island were reluctant to accept designs for landscaping walls and houses of buildings. One of the few who supported the designer was Andreas Vardas from Vardas Architect. The plants were specially selected so that they could be used outdoors. Some of them are flowering species: Durant, feather grass, wild decorative asparagus, and tradescantia
On this street there are shops where you can buy art. it is mostly pottery. The particular technique of paint coating and firing is the hallmark of pathos in particular, and Cyprus in general. Rooster-shaped houses or various animal images are a unique tradition of Paphos.
this part of the city, not overlooking what is relatively young, gained respect among the nouveau riche of the late 10th and early 20th centuries. here began to build rich mansions and apartment houses.their architecture is very diverse. This is mainly eclectic style.
The Kiniras Hotel and Tavern is a family-owned traditional house in the heart of Paphos, Cyprus. Kiniras is a 15th-century Venetian building, which was first converted into a hotel in 1924, completely renovated in 1995, it is perhaps the most traditional of Paphos hotels, still maintaining its original character and uniqueness as a listed building. This character building is now managed by the 4th generation of the family Kleanthis Gregoriou who is the son of the owner. The family welcomes their guests with a homely feeling, serving authentic local cuisine from “grandmother’s” kitchen and produce from the family land.
Here are three multiplex cinema, which makes Kennedy Square almost the center of entertainment in Paphos. In the shopping and entertainment center Titania, feature films are broadcast by one of the oldest projectors. As for nightlife, in the area of Ktima concentrated a vast number of noisy bars, among which Kraft is worth. As a rule, almost always live music is played here. In addition to entertainment places of various stripes, Kennedy Square is also known for its luxurious restaurant Noir - this place is popular with locals and tourists for serving delicious canapes and delicious wines of Cyprus. If there are no free places in the Noir restaurant, take a look at the adjacent bar, Boulevard. It is also a wine bar, in which there is a green garden hidden in the courtyard with magical lights and natural coolness, but this place at the corner of the Square is famous for the unsurpassed sushi. Not far from Kennedy Square is the Paphos City Hall.
Agios Kendeas Church, dedicated to St. Candace, is one of the few churches located in urban areas. The temple is located in the center of Paphos and was built in 1923. during these years there was an intensive building up of this part of the city. Then rich country houses and apartment houses were built. the rich ones could afford to fill up the hillsides and live in a cooler climate away from the sea and fishing boats. after the British left Cyprus and after the Turkish invasion the city fell into disrepair. graffiti began to appear on the abandoned buildings. today, graffiti has changed the theme and direction but is still important.
The legend of Saint Candace says that through his prayers, one stone became a source of pure water. After that, he became famous in these lands and could treat the sick with his prayers. For seventeen years in Cyprus, there was a drought; then he was asked to pray for rain. As soon as he raised his hands to the sky, it became cloudy, and the rain began. The White Stone Church looks very impressive. Its main feature is the presence of many crosses on the roof and the presence of cross images in the facing decoration of the building.
The Cyprus postal service, in the form in which we know it today, was organized on the initiative of the British colonial administration in 1878. The first British High Commissioner and Governor of Cyprus, Sir Garnet Walsley, arrived with a specific task - to promote the well-being and business development of these places. One of his priorities was the creation of a post office. Mail organization was one of the first measures. On July 22, 1878, a post office in Larnaca was founded, linked to the Main Post Office in London. Among the first employees were four Cypriots. In order to ensure proper operation of the department, during the first month the government signed contracts with several local residents to transport mail from Nicosia to Larnaca once a day, in carts. The contract stated that the speed of transportation should be six miles per hour, and in the cart there should always be two free places for civil servants. Even if the correspondence arrived from the UK during off-hours, it had to be delivered to its destination under any circumstances.
The building of the regional government of Paphos is impressive in its architecture. Its classical elements were integrated with the traditional pathos colors of the outer walls of the houses - ocher and green. This structure also appeared in the city during the period of renewal and rapid growth, which occurred in the first half of the 20th century - the time of the British rule.
In the shade of the trees to the south of the Agora there are Turkish baths. Most likely this stone domed building was originally a church. Then there were located Turkish baths, after which some premises were transferred to the municipal museum. However, the museum moved to a new place. The building was empty until today it was not restored to its former appearance.