There are three historical buildings here one after another. Numbered 8, 10 and 12. The building in which the Aroma (number 8) cafe of the Israeli global network comfortably settled used to serve the Dick family. Abraham Dick (1848-1917), the father of the family came to Israel from the Caucasus. The company he owned was founded in Haifa in 1878. The company was engaged in a number of cases, but mainly imported agricultural equipment and was then one of the largest in the country. The company was later inherited by Timothy (Timothy) Lange (1869-1947) and Gottlieb Schumacher (1857-1925). Timothy was the son of Anna Lange (1843-1930) of Abraham Dick’s sister. And Gottlieb Schumacher - Maria's husband from the house of Lange - Anna's sister. Their house was built at the end of the 19th century and stretched over 4 levels: 2 main floors (about 170 square meters), an attic and a basement (about 100 square meters). At the entrance are arched passages and large windows in which agricultural machinery and goods were exhibited. At the top of the building you can observe the gable, which characterizes the architecture of the Templars - the religious German Christian community, who founded the colony itself at the end of the 19th century. As in many other houses in the colony, it was customary to engrave inscriptions from the Old Testament above the entrance door. On this house is the inscription "EBEN EZRA 1893". This is a year of construction and a psalm: "And Shemuel took one stone, and put it between Mitzpa and Shane, and named it Even-Aizer (Help Stone), and said: God has helped us to this place." Today, the expression symbolizes the help of God (like the expression "with God's help"). Opposite the house there used to be the Carmel Hotel, then the bus station, now the hotel complex is being built again.
The next building at number 10 (not renovated) is the Schumacher family home. They arrived in Palestine from America. Jacob - the father of the family joined the templars and built this house in 1870. As is customary among the Templars, above the entrance of the psalm from the book Teyilim: “Test the light of Thy face on us (show us), Yehova!” Jacob was appointed honorary consul of the USA and his house became a consulate, the post was inherited by his son Gotlib. In this house were the British officers Condor and Kichner (the future lord) who created the Golan and Galilee cartography. They continued their work and multiplied Jacob’s son, Gottlieb Schumacher. He designed the Haifa Damascus railway, led Armagedo struts, where he found the famous seal in the form of the lion of the biblical king Jeroham. He designed a winery in Rishon Lacione, built a pier for Kaiser Wilhelm in Haifa, the house of Muscovy in Nazareth. During the First World War, Gottlieb joined the ranks of the German troops and after the defeat of Germany he could not return to English Haifa until 1924, and returning, he died a year later. The Schumacher family was deported by the British in 1939 during the Second World War. The symbols of Schumacher’s house were the American flag and the sundial donated by Lord Kitchner.
Translated with Google Translate