Places to visit in Беэр-Шева, Lehavim

Be'er Sheva


Description:

Walking tour of the historical part of Be'er Sheva from the old railway station, the monument to the steam locomotive and Turkish troops from the First World War, through the city park and historical wells that gave the city its name, to the big mosque and art museum, Allenby park and the obelisk to the British general, and finally walks the English war cemetery with several interesting tombstones. Translated with Google Translate

Author & Co-authors
Evgeny Praisman (author)
I’m a professional historian and tour guide. I have visited almost 50 countries and more than 300 cities and share my routs through Pinsteps easily and with a big pleasure. Hope you will enjoy my pathways and share them with your friends!
Distance
702.81 km
Duration
79h 58 m
Likes
7
Places with media
16
1
Turkish Beer Sheva Train Station
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

The Turks built a train station during the First World War. It was intended for the transfer of troops to the Sinai. Beer Sheva became a transit point for the railway line from Schema Tulkarem and Lod, to the Beer Sheva Nitzan branch. At the festive opening of the station, Turkish officers attended along with German officers. These were allied forces against the British. The station never fulfilled its purpose, because the British, under the command of Allenby, captured Beer Sheva in the autumn of 1917. Translated with Google Translate

2
Steam locomotive 70414
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

The British used the station for some time, but dismantled the Turkish line to Nitzana and instead laid a branch in Rafah on the border with Egypt. Due to the fact that the Turkish gauge and the English were of different widths, the use of this station ceased in 1922. The station building began to serve administrative purposes. During the war for the independence of Israel, the headquarters of the Egyptians settled here, and after the creation of the country, the station building passed into the possession of the army. It housed the Israeli intelligence unit. In the mid-fifties of the last century, the need arose for a railroad leading from Be'er Sheva to the center of the country. This was due to the construction of a nuclear reactor in Dimona. Then they switched to the use of diesel locomotives. The last steam locomotive, numbered 70414, set off on its last voyage from Beer Sheva North Station in 1956. A copy of this steam locomotive was brought from the UK and installed here as a historical monument. Translated with Google Translate

3
Station Clock Beer Sheva
Station Clock Beer Sheva

Once upon a time there was a station clock. They say that the Turks set the clock, as expected, at each station, but often the locals needed to explain what it was. Translated with Google Translate

4
The house of the head of the station Beer Sheva
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

At one time, the last flight of the engine from Be'er Sheva to Tel Aviv aroused stormy emotions among the inhabitants of the country. With the last engine, an entire era ended. The country was moving to a new type of railway transport - a locomotive. The acclaimed Israeli poet songwriter Haim Hefer wrote the song Steam Locomotive 70414, which has been quite popular for a long time. The words of the chorus are inscribed on the wall of the house of the head of the station. Translated with Google Translate

5
Monument to Turkish soldiers Beer Sheva
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

A monument to Turkish soldiers was erected by the Turks in 2012 in memory of Turkish soldiers who died near Beer Sheva in battles with the British. Opposite the monument to the soldiers, in the lower part of which there is a hysterical memorial plaque, a bust of Kamal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey after the First World War, rises. The historic marble tablet was created by the British and was located at the entrance to the English war cemetery. Translated with Google Translate

6
Water tower for refueling steam locomotives
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Water towers made it possible to fill steam locomotives with water. For refueling the engine it was necessary a lot of pressure, in order to create it - they built towers. Heated water to produce steam using a furnace that was heated with coal. It was expensive to import coal, so they used charcoal. To this day, the designation of the type of activity of its inhabitants has been preserved in the name of the Arab village of Um al-Fahm. The mind is the people, el fahm is coal. Translated with Google Translate

7
Remez Beer Sheva Park
Remez Beer Sheva Park

Even the Turkish authorities began to green Beer Sheva. Pasha Abdul Hamid the second visited Rishon leTsion and was so impressed by the achievements of the first settlers that he invited agronomists to create gardens and parks in Be'er Sheva. After the proclamation of the state of Israel, the park was named after David Remez. Translated with Google Translate

8
Well Beer Sheva
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Wells on the paths of nomads created parking lots that turned into shopping and community centers. It was Beer Sheva that was such an ancient parking in the Negev. Abraham also dug here one of the wells, which, however, the satraps of the local king took away from him. He even had to pay an expensive ransom in support of his rights to this well. Another biblical story suggests that it was here, under the shadow of a tamarisk, that he met travelers and received from in his tent. These were angels in the form of men, and it was then that an alliance was made with the one God. The Byzantines used well water to irrigate wheat fields and actively developed agricultural farms in the Negev. The Turks called Be'er Sheva a city, laid the main streets and built a mosque, a government house, administration and an inn. There lies our way. Translated with Google Translate

9
Beer Sheva Museum of Art
Beer Sheva Museum of Art

The Museum of Art is located in the house of Turkish rule. In front of him is a horse - the fruit of the artist Kadishman. The museum is open on Saturdays, more about opening hours on a sign at the entrance. Translated with Google Translate

10
The Great Mosque of Beer Sheva
The Great Mosque of Beer Sheva

The museum of Islamic culture in the mosque presents very interesting exhibits. These are examples of ancient documents, copies of Turkish office work, household items of nomads, language studies, the origin and borrowing of words from Turkic to Arabic and vice versa. There are also works by contemporary Arab artists. Translated with Google Translate

11
The courtyard of the Beer Sheva Grand Mosque
The courtyard of the Beer Sheva Grand Mosque

The courtyard of a large mosque is located around the well. It is surrounded by a colonnade on one side and resembles in some way a Spanish courtyard. This is very accurately traced the influence of the culture of Islam. The massive wooden entrance door keeps imprints of antiquity, and those islands of oases in the desert that attracted travelers so much create coolness and freshness. Translated with Google Translate

12
Museum of Islamic Culture in the Middle East
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

The Museum of Islamic Culture is located in the building of a large mosque. It was built along with the house of government. According to legend, a curse fell on the mosque, and no one ever prayed in it. Nevertheless, it is the only large mosque during the Turkish rule in Be'er Sheva and the Negev. Today it houses a museum of Islamic culture. It was decided to create such a museum in an empty mosque building by decision of the Supreme Court of the State of Israel. The matter went to court, when the Negev Muslims demanded that they return the religious building for worship. The military authorities, on the contrary, argued that since the mosque never performed its religious function and did not belong to a religious community, it, like other Turkish buildings nationalized by the British and then Israel, should not be converted into religious property. The court decided to place a museum in the mosque, thus preserving its Islamic spirit, but not giving the place a religious coloring, which it never had. Translated with Google Translate

13
Allenby Park
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Allenby called in lightweight mobile cavalry from the countries of the British Commonwealth of Australia and New Zealand, which allowed him not to delay the troops from the European theater of operations and focus on lightning-fast maneuvers instead of positional warfare. For the Turks, Allenby became a symbol of English treachery, and Lawrence of Arabia, financed by him, was able to raise the Bedouins to capture Aqaba and crush all Turkish positions in the Middle East. Translated with Google Translate

14
Sarai Beer Sheva
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Sarai is a Beer Sheva City Hall since the time of Turkish rule. It was built on a hillock and was visible from far away. So the Turks strengthened their power within the Bedouin nomads. The British also used this building for its intended purpose, and behind them the authority of Israel. Today the police building is located here, and its northern part is occupied by the headquarters of the army of the southern district. Translated with Google Translate

15
Palm Street Beer Sheva
Palm Street Beer Sheva

Palmach Street is one of the oldest streets in the city, designed during the reign of the Turkish Empire. Today, the street is undergoing reconstruction, but fragments of the architecture of buildings of the early 20th century speak about its history. At this place was a large bazaar, which was the central bazaar of the Negev in the 60s of the 20th century. Translated with Google Translate

16
English military cemetery Beer Sheva
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Among 1240 tombstones, there is only one grave of a Jewish soldier - captain Seymour Jacob Van den Berg. He died on October 27, 1917, at the battle of El Buggar Mountain Range east of Be'er Sheva. He commanded a detachment of 28 fighters, holding the height at number 720, which was subjected to continuous attacks by the Turkish troops for several hours. Only four people were able to survive in this bloody massacre. Van den Berg was born July 28, 1890 in Hampstead in Holland, in the family of Henry and Henrietta Van den Berg (née Spagnard). His father was the chairman of the family-owned margarine business, which later teamed up with Lever Brothers and formed the famous Unilever brand. Translated with Google Translate

Don't waste time for planning
Use detailed routes created by your friends and professionals.
Don't be afraid to get lost in new places!
Pinsteps - globe travel application. Travel pictures.
Don't waste time for planning
Open the world with experience of your friends and professionals without any fear.
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience
OK
Share
Send
Send