Places to visit

Zagreb First acquaintance


Zagreb is a wonderful city that blends the serenity of Eastern Europe with the beauty of the West. Impressive squares with small alleyways, magnificent buildings opposite picturesque peasant houses, landscapes occupying a view of ancient churches - Zagreb. We will tour the city between its main centers, climb the upper city, glitter in the divorce museum, go down through the famous stone gate to the old farmers' neighborhood, we can go to the popular cuisine, visit the cathedral of the city and finish the tour in the main square named after Joseph Jelacic. Translated with Google Translate

Author & Co-authors
Evgeny Praisman (author)
Здравствуйте! Меня зовут Женя, я путешественник и гид. Здесь я публикую свои путешествия и путеводители по городам и странам. Вы можете воспользоваться ими, как готовыми путеводителями, так и ресурсом для создания собственных маршрутов. Некоторые находятся в свободном доступе, некоторые открываются по промо коду. Чтобы получить промо код напишите мне сообщение на телефон +972 537907561 или на и я с радостью вам помогу! Иначе, зачем я всё это делаю?
2.46 km
3h 18 m
Places with media
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

We'll start our trip at the beginning of Zagreb's pedestrian mall, this Ilica Street. This street preserved its main features from the fifteenth century AD. The first mention on this street comes from 1431. So it was called Loncarska ves. The name means in the translation from Croatian: Kfar Kedarim. Today it is one of the longest streets in Zagreb. Here are located luxury shops, places of entertainment and culture and its surroundings is considered expensive and desirable for many residents. Translated with Google Translate

Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Human settlement in the area began in ancient times. There is evidence of frescoes in one of the prehistoric caves in the Medvednica Mountains above the city. Romans built south of the Sava River a town called Andautonia. But officially Zagreb counts its history from the 11th century when the Hungarian king Saint Ladislaus, founded in 1094 on the hill named Kaptol the colony of the church which is seen down the road. Nearly 150 years later, in the middle of the 13th century, Mongols invaded the city and robbed it. The few inhabitants who fled to the Medvednica Mountains returned and set up a new settlement on the Gradec hill near Kaptol. On this hill we will climb through a narrow alley named Tomiceva. On holiday days along the street stands are stalls selling local dishes. One of the local foods is a dish called Strukley. It originates in Zagorje, an area north of Zagreb. Struckley's foundation is dough, fresh cottage cheese and cream. Traditionally, the Strukli are prepared through deep cooking, but today most of the households are baking Strukli. Always serve it hot, it is a simple dish, but very rich in flavors and calories. Translated with Google Translate

Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Now we'll go up to the Upper Town with Funicular. These two funds which are connected to the rope and when one goes down, the other rises. This transportation was quite popular in Europe at the end of the nineteenth century and was built in many cities throughout the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Its 66-meter course makes Funicular one of the world's shortest public transport vehicles. It was built in 1890 and has been operating since April 23, 1893. Initially, it had steam engines, which were replaced by electricity in 1934. Due to its original shape, the structure and the most technical features, it is considered historical - a cultural monument. The city's residents are amused and call this transportation "old age." Each cabin has a capacity of 28 passengers (16 seats and 12 passengers standing). Train tickets can be purchased in a booth (at the entrance) for 4 HRK (one way ticket). Carriage in the car will take about a minute and this is one of the short trips in public transportation vehicles around the world. Anyone who does not want to board Funicular can walk up the nearby stairs. Translated with Google Translate

Let's go back briefly to the history of the city. After the Mongol invasion and the establishment of the upper city we had just arrived, a Hungarian king named Bela IV gave the city special privileges that allowed it freedom of trade. This city expanded in the race of years, trickled down to a wadi that separates Gradec from Kaptol and created what is now called Zagreb.

Translated with Google Translate

Lotrščak Tower is a fortified tower located in Gornji Grad (Upper Town). The tower, which dates back to the 13th century, was built on the southern wall of Gradec. The name is derived from the Latin campana latrunculorum, namely the bell thieves that appeared on the tower in 1646. The bell rang to close the gates. Translated with Google Translate

Take a moment along the promenade Strossmayer. This promenade provides the scenery and beautiful views of the city, but not only. Her name commemorates one of the most important figures in Croatian history. Bishop of Djakovo, Slavonia - Strossmayer was the leader and founder of the Academy of Arts and Sciences. He used Church revenues to fund important social projects. The nearby minyan was funded by voluntary contributions of local citizens. The building served as the first municipal school in the middle of the 19th century and later for a girls' school. Translated with Google Translate

We will jump for a moment into a small garden. He stood in a place where there was a square between the palace of the aristocratic family of Zarinski and the buildings of the various monasteries that received land in this part of the city. Remains of ancient buildings are still visible in the walls of the modern buildings. One of the most prominent figures in the Zrinsky family is Nikolai Zarinsky. She participated in a battle in the sigistor where the Turkish leader Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent was mortally wounded. He who built the walls of the city of Jerusalem. Translated with Google Translate

In the tower on the top floor was placed a cannon Grič. This is one of Zagreb's distinguishing features. In the 19th century the upper floor and the windows were added to the tower. Above it was the cannon. Cannon shot to mark lunch for a bell rang and bells in the nearby churches. Translated with Google Translate

The Viennese cafe opened the doors to many well-known people of Zagreb, including the poet and author, Anton Gustav Matoš. The poet who was once sitting in the cafe and reading his newspaper and sipping his coffee is still here, though, cast bronze, sitting on a bench at the Strossmayer promenade. Translated with Google Translate

This is one of the city's romantic spots. This is the place for pictures, a small cup of coffee, a short rest and the rest of the way. Translated with Google Translate

Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

One of the great things here - is a huge mural. From this place you can clearly see the city surrounded by two hills. One - of the city of Gradets and opposite of Capitol. The name Kaptol has historical significance. Capitol Street ran from south to north across a kaptol terrace with lined canyons. As the Latin word for a group or body of canons is "capitulum" (kaptol), it is clear how Capotal received his name. Between the city of Katal, the center of government and the church, and the city of Gardz - the center of the aristocracy and monasteries - lies a wadi of peasants, artisans and common people. Translated with Google Translate

The church was built by the Jesuits in the first half of the 17th century. It consists of a single passageway with six side chapels, its apsida made up of fancy illusion paintings inspired by the "Il Gesu" church in Rome. Chapels guard five wooden altars from the second half of the 17th century and one made of marble from 1729. The facade of the church was built by Hermann Bull after the earthquake of 1880. The Jesuits, a Catholic religious order known for their scientific and educational activities, established the Humanistic High School The first in Zagreb in 1607. The school provided humanistic education to hundreds of students from all levels of the city's population. From peasant children, to children from noble families. Translated with Google Translate

Dverce Palace is now owned by the city of Zagreb and used for festive purposes. His current appearance is received in the 19th century after works carried out by architect Kuno Waidmann. After Stephan's election to the President of the Republic in 2000, the intention was to transfer the office of the President of the Republic of Croatia to the Palace of Dvorce, but it was canceled. The building of the Dworcza Palace began in 1708 on the walls of the upper city walls, and was completed in 1883. A large number of hands passed through the building until it was purchased by Ambrose Varnici - Dubrovnik, the Minister of Commerce, who married his daughter Clotilde to the Italian Count Bourati and received the palace. Count Boratie was much older than Cotlilde, unhappy at this marriage, which made the father sad, and decided to upgrade the dance hall so that it would be a place to socialize and hang out, all of which did not help Klotilde's married life and continued to spend time with the young Zagragans For them, there were evenings of celebration and dancing, of course there were also love stories, not to mention cheating, until he returned At the end of his life, the father decided to give the palace to the city of Zagreb and in 1912 he realized that Dorcza was under the ownership of the city of Zagreb, provided that no one could live but to hold the festivities in this palace. Ceremonies and events. Translated with Google Translate

We rarely invite our tourists to a museum, but this museum is worth a visit. The Museum of Divorce, Museum of Broken Relations (Croatian Muzej Prekinutih Veza) is the unique original museum in Zagreb, which contains testimonies of lost love and broken personal relationships. In 2011, the Museum was awarded a special prize "The Museum of the Year of Europe". The history of the museum stemmed from the private drama that took place in the divorce of the artists Ulinka Vistika and its partner, Dzjan Grobyszyc. The divorcing couple decided to keep some testimony to the joy of their joint lives in a particular place. Over time, the collection grew thanks to new exhibitions of other couples. Objects that symbolize old love or broken relationships between spouses were sent to a museum from the farthest corners of the world. Often, the exhibits are slightly tragicomic, representing unfulfilled desires, dreams, and "proofs" of sincere love. Translated with Google Translate

The Croatian Museum of Naïve Art presents works by naïve artists of the 20th century. The museum contains about 1,850 works of art, including paintings, sculptures, drawings and posters, mainly from Croatia, but also famous foreign artists are represented here. From time to time, the museum organizes exhibitions around special topics, seminars and seminars. Founded in 1952, the museum occupies an area of 350 square meters on the ground floor of the 18th-century Rafa'i Palace and is considered the world's first museum of naïve art. Translated with Google Translate

Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

This building is now used by the Zagreb City Council. Fifty-one representatives are elected through secret direct elections. The term of office of the representatives is 4 years. The building is a historic city hall building that incorporates 3 buildings in different periods. The oldest building was built in this place in 1439 when the city enjoyed free trade rights and began to flourish. In 1614 when the trade union councils - the guilds began to gain power against the local nobility, the building convened the city council. At the end of the 19 th century the building was expanded and only in 1968 was its present form. At the front of the building is a monument to the memory of Nikola Tesla, a well-known science man who has devoted himself to the study of electricity. The current electric car company Tesla is named after him. Translated with Google Translate

In the corner of the building you can see a stone face. This is a reference to Metia Govov - the leader of the peasant revolt. On the square opposite, he was driven and executed. The building next door was used by generations of the city's wealthy and today after undergoing a thorough reconstruction it is one of the most beautiful examples of local architecture. The first stone building was erected there after a fire that struck the city in 1731. At first the man bought the land Josip De Fon. In 1776 the place was sold to a wealthy military man named Nikola Fridrik Grlečić. He was transferred to a family of nobility known as Jelačić who were advisers to the royal family and sat at the head of the city council. In the 19th century, the property was transferred to a wealthy lawyer at a cost of 21,000 porinets (a very high sum), and he transferred ownership of the building to his son-in-law, Ladoslav Rakovac, a well-known doctor in the city. From this revolution bought the building Zagreb municipality wanted to build a municipal museum here. During the renovation rare frescoes were discovered and the building received historical value. At the beginning of the 20th century was the building of the first radio station in Zagreb where broadcast classical works in the best performance of known musicians. After much deliberation, it was decided to dedicate the refurbished building to the banquet hall and to devote some of the museum's exhibits to the museum. Translated with Google Translate

Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

A square near St. Mark's Church is one of the best known and loved on the locals among the town squares. The square is preserved from the Middle Ages and is a reminder of the history of the city. One of the amazing things about the square is that it is an absolute square. The dimensions of the square were laid in the Middle Ages and have hardly changed to this day. St. Mark's Church is the central church of the city and perhaps the most beautiful one in it. The church was built in the 13th century. The Gothic items in the church building were added to it in the 14th century along with 15 sculptures on its southern side. Some of these statues were brought from Prague in 1420. The famous hallmark of the church is the colorful tiled roof. On the roof you can see the symbol of the State of Croatia - the united state of Croatia, Dalmatia and Slavonia and the symbol of Zagreb with symbols of Islam and created over the walls of the city. Most of the church is closed to visitors and worshipers. Only in the winter before Christmas can you visit it. Translated with Google Translate

Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Banski Dabur or his popular name - the mayor's palace is the seat of the Croatian parliament and the residence of the prime minister. The building was built in the early 19th century and served as the city's governors from 1808 until 1918. The famous Croatian leader Josip Jelačić lived and died. Joseph Yalcic was a military man and thinker, fought for Croatian independence and founded the modern state, usually drawn on horseback, and was given a gift from his political rival, a Croat-Muslim. In addition to Joseph's magnificent residence in this building, the building is also known as the place where Croats voted for the exit from the Austro-Hungarian Empire in 1918 and for the disintegration of Yugoslavia in 1991. Translated with Google Translate

The palace was built after 1721 on the area that included only one building. Its construction is related to the family of the aristocracy called Rauch and hence its name. The palace belonged to several owners among them the Counts Yalacic. The overall structure of the palace is preserved in its entirety. The second floor facing the inner courtyard is unusual in terms of style of construction for the first half of the 19th century. Its architectural splendor is certainly impressive. The original waiting room, preserved from the 18th century, is also impressive. Translated with Google Translate

After the victory of the Hungarian king in the 4th century against the Mongols, the citizens of Gradets received the Golden Bulla in 1242, which declared freedom of trade in their city. In the text of the announcement it was written: "A free royal city Gradetz, on the hill of Zagreb". One of the requirements for realizing rights was that they had to build strong walls that protected the city. They fulfilled the commitment between the years 1242 and 1266. Haskum walls were built up to 2 meters thick with several large gates. Certain parts of the wall and the stone gate that we see are the only parts preserved to this day. What the original gate looks like is unknown, the only thing known for certain is that it was built in a city where the tree was the main building material. The oldest document describing the appearance of the gate dates from the 16th century. The gate was described as "an open structure without a roof, with a tower in the northwest and a bridge over the embankment, other gates: a gate from Saniska in the west, optics or a new gate at the end of Optica Street, , Due to proximity to the monastery), and a small gate "Dverce" in the southern part. Translated with Google Translate

The history of the stone gate is very interesting. It was founded in 1266. It was destroyed in 1645, 1674, 1706 and 1731. During the last great fire (in 1731), the stone gate was badly damaged but one painting remained intact - the Virgin Mary painting with the baby Jesus. The widow, Mudler, owner of the picture, built a prayer place inside the gate that still serves as a pilgrimage place called "Virgin and Child." The chapel is fenced by an impressive Baroque fence, built in 1778. The painter and the age of the painting are unknown, but according to the prevailing opinion among experts it is the work of a talented local artist. The painting on linen, about half a meter by half a meter. On the 200th anniversary of the rescue miracle of the picture, the image of Saint Mary on the painting was crowned with gold. Many years ago, the Virgin Mary of the Stone Gate became the most significant prayer site, where worshipers found kindness and hope, and lit candles as a symbol of gratitude or prayer. Many Zagreb citizens attended their prayers in this place. Even today, citizens of Zagreb stop here, light candles and pray for health, happiness, good fortune and love. On May 31, 1991, the 250th anniversary of the miracle, the Archbishop Cardinal Franjo Cohrique declared a picture of Mary of the Golden Gate as a shield of Zagreb. Translated with Google Translate

The Zagreb 80 is a unique experience. Are presented in an interactive way things from the past and can be compared to what was in the past with what we know today. Experience the way of life and remember about the things and feelings of the past. No doubt, the 80's was the golden age for music, fashion, technological innovation and more. Where the things we have today are born, such as video games, personal computers and mobile phones. The Zagreb 80 is an exhibition that will bring you back to the golden age of vinyl, cassettes and typewriters. Translated with Google Translate

These steps lead us to the wadi that separates the two hills of the city. This place has always been used for agricultural purposes and to the sea towers here vines. Translated with Google Translate

Did you know that at the end of the 19th and early 20th century Zagreb was one of the leading cities in Europe in the field of brothels? Zagreb's largest brothel was located on the corner of Tkalčićeva and Bloody Bridge, where the country's audit office is now known as Zlatna kuna. It all started with the first public spa baths opened in the middle of the 19th century in Zagreb. In addition to their health care, citizens of Zagreb enjoyed additional services. Hotels and restaurants opened within the baths, and Mrs. Roger Arngosh and her husband William saw this as a great business opportunity. They bought a plot of land above Kozarska Street and opened Zagreb's first brothel. Translated with Google Translate

Hundreds of years before the street was marked today, the route of Tkalčićeva Street was the channel of the Medveščak River. It is called Crikvenik. From the Middle Ages it was the center of many industry. The most important of these are the water mills industry. The water mills caused the development of Zagreb and led to the construction of the first textile plants, soap, paper and alcoholic beverages, and later also to the leather industry. The water mills were often the subject of fierce arguments between two twin cities, Kaptol and Gradec. A peace treaty of 1392 forbade the construction of new water mills along the channel between the southern end of Medvedgradska Street and Banjalacic Square, leaving only two Mills within the city. The two mills were owned by the Sistercian monastery. However, they were destroyed during the covering of the streambed in 1898. Although both sides of the stream were previously inhabited, the cover of the stream in 1898 created a whole street, called Ulica Potok (River Street). In the middle of the 20th century it was paved with asphalt. River Street quickly became a small business street and shops and the leather industry stopped working in 1938. In 1913, Ulica Potok's name changed to Tkalčićeva Street in honor of the 19th century Croatian historian Ivan Tkalčić. Translated with Google Translate

Štrukli This traditional dish of Zagreb and north-west of Croatia. We all know it already. A few years ago, well-publicized that you can find real štrukli only in national restaurants on agricultural farm in rural areas or in high-quality luxury restaurants. La štruk trumpets the argument. They opened a fast food restaurant in the heart of the old city. They offer nothing but štrukli. The filo dough is handmade, traditionally made, and the recipe is faithful to tradition. Regular štrukli really very good here, as good as at Grandma in Zagorje - where is the homeland of this dish. But here also decided to upgrade the dish and add creative touch to it. So there is štrukli mouth with blueberries, walnuts, nettle, paprika, depending on the season. While fundamentalists may be shocked, it is quite refreshing to see many faces of štrukli, as long as the basic ingredients and preparation are authentic. Translated with Google Translate

Above the Dolac market square is a statue of Petrica Kerempuh, handcrafted by sculptor Vanja Radauš. The character of the popular entertainer, a cynical commentator on contemporary events and a national hero who emerged from folk tales was greatly influenced by the social culture of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Some say that this satiric figure even draws sources from the entertainment culture of the Austrian court. Petrica Kerempuh even became even more popular in 1936 when Miroslav Krleža's book Balade Petrice Kerempuha was published. It is interesting that this culture is typical throughout Eastern Europe and even in the Jewish tradition there is a story about a young man named Stampenio in the creation of peace to you. Translated with Google Translate

This statue is closely connected with the church next to. The statue is dedicated to the ascension of the Virgin Mary. At the foot of the pillar are figures of the four apostles - members of the New Testament. Miriam is considered a symbol of renewal and victory and the history of Zagreb is related to King Ladislav - the founder of the monastery on arrival Kaptol and in fact so, the founder of the city. Translated with Google Translate

Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

In 1093, when King Ladislaus (1040-1095) handed over to the bishop of Zagreb, he declared the church a cathedral. The construction of the cathedral began shortly after his death and ended in 1217 by King Andrew II of Hungary. The building was destroyed by the Mongols in 1242 but was rebuilt by Bishop Timothy (1263-1287) a few years later. At the end of the 15th century it was ravaged by the invasion of the armies of the Ottoman Empire. In the 17th century, the Renaissance watchtower was built in the Druze section of the church and became a guard tower to the Ottoman threat. The cathedral was severely damaged by the Zagreb earthquake of 1880. The main hall collapsed. The renovation began immediately afterwards and was headed by the architect Hermann Bull, who brought the cathedral to its present form. The building is 46 meters wide and 108 meters high. In the cathedral, Pope Benedict XVI visited on June 5, 2011, where he celebrated the Sunday prayer and prayed at the tomb of Aloysius Steinac. Translated with Google Translate

A tower next to the Archbishop's Palace is a symbol of one of the towers of the city walls built to protect against the Ottoman threat. The whole structure is called the spiritual table of the archbishop. This body is the central administrative and advisory body of the Archbishop of Zagreb. Translated with Google Translate

Amelie is a perfect place for a small pastry. After the beautiful stroll towards its end, rest on the shady terrace near the walls of the old town of Kaftol. It is a place where a romantic decoration mixes with the wonderful taste. Translated with Google Translate

This square is another historic place that attests to the strong trade relations of Zagreb with the nearby piles. Instead of a plethora of shops and restaurants, which is a sign that a tour will soon be over and shopping will be possible. Translated with Google Translate

Services. This is definitely an important place and can be quite necessary for you. Translated with Google Translate

The Manduševac spring was known from antiquity. It provided water down the city under the ancient Zagreb walls that included two cities Kaptol and Griča. According to legend, a beautiful girl called Manda met the knight who asked for water. He said to her, "Mando, my soul, please raise the water." According to this statement, the names of the city and of the spring were created. Zagreb - means to raise water and Mandushvitz - means "my soul" Translated with Google Translate

We are located on the main square of the city. Until 1990 the name of the square was Republic Square. In 1990, with the separation of Croatia from the Republic of Yugoslavia, the original name of Ban Yalacic was returned to the square and the statue returned to its historic place. The statue, however, turned south. Originally in the 19th century when the statue was erected it was aimed north toward Hungary. Translated with Google Translate

Our excursion ends at this point. You are in the city's famous shopping district of your choice. For those who would like to climb one of the tall buildings of the city on the top floor there is a beautiful observation point will reveal the wonderful environment of this city, which contains forests, and mountains to the north and the river Saba to the south. Translated with Google Translate

Don't waste time for planning
Use detailed routes created by your friends and professionals.
Don't be afraid to get lost in new places!
Pinsteps - globe travel application. Travel pictures.
Don't waste time for planning
Open the world with experience of your friends and professionals without any fear.
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience