Places to visit

Barcelona one day by foot

Description: One day to explore Barcelona. The walk begins at the Arc de Triomphe, passes through the Citadel Park, enters the Old Town, winds down the streets of the old town in detail from the pubs and bars, so popular in the La Ribera district to the capital’s Cathedral of St. Eulalia and the heart of the Roman city, passes through the Jewish quarter and the Gothic the city, goes to the embankment and gives a break in the port and the famous aquarium and again goes to the old city, this time in its front part - Ramblas and Plaza Catalunya. And the route ends in a fashionable to this day modernist district of the new city with the houses of the unsurpassed Gaudi. Translated with Google Translate
12.29 km
6h 34 m
Arc de triomf
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The Arch of Triumph was designed by the architect José Vilaseca as the main entrance to the Barcelona World Exhibition in 1888. Unlike other triumphal arches, usually of a military nature, the “Arc de Triomphe” in Barcelona has a civil orientation that characterizes artistic, scientific and economic progress. The central image of the top is the personification of Barcelona, ​​which is indicated by the emblem of the city. It is accompanied by Cybela, the goddess of Mother Earth, and surmounted by a turret. Pallas Athena is also represented - the goddess of war, civilization, wisdom, art and justice. She is dressed in armor with the letters P and F, the initial letters of the words progress and happiness. Above this image stands the coat of arms of the Spanish monarchy, surrounded by two lions with columns of Hercules and topped with a royal crown and the Golden Fleece. Arc de Triomf is a popular place for marathons and important events. Such as running Jean Bui or Barcelona Marathon. November 2, 2019 from the Arc de Triomphe starts the project CRITICAL MASS. This event takes place every month in many cities of the world. Cyclists will participate in the bike ride for creating a convenient urban infrastructure for fans of this type of transport. This is not a demonstration or organization, but only people, men and women, young and old, riding a bicycle. This is not a race. This is a way to create a public space where people can get together, meet and communicate with each other. Translated with Google Translate
Castle of the Three Dragons
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The Three Dragons Castle is a popular name given to an Art Nouveau building built between 1887 and 1888. as a cafe-restaurant for the World Exhibition in Barcelona. Since 2011, the scientific headquarters of the Barcelona Natural Science Museum has been housed here, which includes a natural research laboratory, a department for studying and preserving museum collections. It is noteworthy that, being the main building of the exhibition in 1888, on April 8, on the planned opening date of the exhibition, the building was not yet ready, and the exhibition was postponed to August 17. For this reason, Domenech and Montaner - the architects, resigned. During the civil war, the building was severely damaged during the bombing of Franco’s aircraft. Built of brick and iron, this building resembles a castle surmounted by battlements. The building is almost square in plan, with towers at the corners and perimeter. In its innovative structure of exposed brick and open reinforced concrete structures, it became the prototype of a similar structure made by Hendrik Petrus Berlage in the design of the building for the Amsterdam Stock Exchange. Translated with Google Translate
Cascada monumental
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The cascade (waterfall - cascade) was opened in 1881. There were no sculptures or any architectural excesses on it. He was criticized by the press, after which he was completely redesigned with the addition of a fountain and various architectural attributes. This required six years of construction from 1882 to 1888. Since then, he has never rebuilt. Josep Fonser and, to a large extent, the then unknown student of architecture, Antoni Gaudi, worked on the fountain. Fontsére wanted to make it look like the Trevi Fountain in Rome. Two huge mites of giant crabs serve as a ladder for climbing to a small catwalk, located in the center of the monument. In front of him, on an open mollusk, stands a sculpture of Venus. Translated with Google Translate
Als voluntaris catalans
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The park has a wonderful pond and many wavy parrots. Sometimes they start to talk “humanly”. Here is a bronze nude figure of a young man with his hands raised. She was born in 1918, when it was decided to create a monument to the Catalan volunteers as part of the Spanish troops killed on the battlefield under the flags of the allies, not the Spanish monarchy. In 1923, when the monument was completed, the coming to power of Primo de Rivera suspended the project. The dictatorship made it impossible to celebrate any public act of Catalan self-determination, so the opening of the monument had to be postponed for thirteen years. In general, the Citadel Park has an interesting history. In 1714, during the war for the Spanish inheritance, Barcelona was besieged for 13 months by the army of Philip V. Philip descended from the Bourbon dynasty - the French kings, and his rule in Spain threatened that France could become the mistress of the world, having received in addition to Spain, its overseas colonies. Barcelona fell, and in order to maintain control over it and prevent the rebellion of the recalcitrant Catalans, Philip V built a citadel, at that time the largest fortress in Europe. Much of the city was destroyed to make room for the fortress. This left many residents homeless. Hundreds of Catalans were forced to work on construction for three years, while the rest of the city provided financial support for the project. A new tax was introduced under the name el cadestre. Hence the word Cadastre and cadastral registration in Russian. Translated with Google Translate
Area de joc infantil
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
In 1841, the city decided to destroy the fortress, which the inhabitants of Barcelona hated. Two years later, in 1843, under the regime of Maria Cristina, the citadel was restored. In 1848, after Maria Cristina’s abdication, and when the citadel lost its military significance, General Espartero destroyed most of the buildings in the fortress and its walls, shooting her with cannon fire from the opposite mountain fortress of Montjuïc. This event aroused the enthusiasm of the Catalans and earned the general political popularity. Translated with Google Translate
Umbracle del parc de la ciutadella
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
In 1869, when the political climate returned to normal, General Prim finally dismantled what was left of the fortress and cleared the territory. Residents performed these works voluntarily and with pride, because it was believed that destroying the Citadel was a matter of honor for every Catalan who hated the symbol of the central government of Spain. Only the chapel (now the Military Parish Church in Barcelona), the governor’s palace (now Verdager High School) and the arsenal remained in the former citadel, and the rest was turned into a modern park by the architect Josep Fontsére in 1872. Nineteen years later, in 1888, an international exhibition took place in Barcelona, ​​and the park became its main pavilion. This meant the completion of the history of the old provincial and non-progressive Barcelona and the creation of a modern cosmopolitan city. Translated with Google Translate
Carrer de calders
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
We enter the old city of Barcelona, ​​which consists of three blocks. La Ribera, El Raval and the Gothic Quarter. La Ribera will be the first on our journey. This quarter can be divided mentally into two parts, the one that is adjacent to the sea and the one that was located on the site of the Citadel. It was this one, once located on the outskirts and formerly a quarter of the poor, that part of the city suffered most from the construction of the Citadel. The part adjacent to the sea, on the contrary, was the economic heart of Barcelona in the 13th and 15th centuries — the time of the power of the Aragon kingdom. It was Aragon that was the strongest kingdom in the Mediterranean. He owned Sicily, Naples, Sardinia, and the flag with red and yellow stripes was the Argonne distinctive sign. Translated with Google Translate
Santa Maria del Mar, Barcelona
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Born Boulevard is the main boulevard of the district. Today it gave the name of the entire part of the old city to Via Laetan Avenue, beyond which the Gothic Quarter is located. The Bourne district today is pubs, bars, restaurants, galleries and the most crowded places of the city. Life here begins in the evening and goes on until late at night. There are famous bars and restaurants, there are discos, there are markets and master classes in Catalan and Asturian cuisine. We will see some of these places and talk about them, but it will be more of a recommendation to return here late in the evening, but for now concentrate on getting to know the city. Yes, by the way, we will have something to eat at the most famous market of La Boqueria - they drive there to make purchases from the La Born master classes. Translated with Google Translate
Santa Maria del Mar, Barcelona
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
In the XIV century, the king of Aragon, Alfonso IV, ascended the throne after his elder brother Jaime went to the monastery. finally subjugated Aragon to Sardinia. Barcelona became the most important port city, increased trade and sailors have become the most significant guild in the city. It was their patron saint of the Holy Virgin Mary of the Sea that they built this beautiful Gothic church. The foundation stone of the church was laid by Alphonse himself in 1329. Money for the construction was allocated by citizens from each guild, and so, this church can rightly be called the people's. Despite the fact that, like all medieval churches, its construction was not speedy, its architecture is one and perfect, and the proportions raise this church to the rank of one of the most beautiful in Europe. Translated with Google Translate
Bar el círculo
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Well, here we are on the street, where there are pubs and bars. There are a lot of drinking places. Mostly cocktails, beer, but there are drinks and stronger. Snack, as it should be, tapas. Like the endless variety of tapas, so are the stories of the name of this dish. Here are some of them. The word "tapas" comes from the Spanish / Portuguese verb "tapar", "show up", akin to English "put on top". In Spain, until the 19th century, tapas were served in snack bars or wine cellars, inviting guests to get acquainted with the "summary of the dish." Since few owners could write, and few of the guests could read, in the eatery they offered their guests a selection of available dishes on tapas. If you read the book “The Joys of Cooking,” the original tapas were thin slices of bread or meat that were served to sherry in Andalusian taverns. They were salty, which activated thirst and the bartender heard the coveted: "Lei more!". Tapas eventually became as important as sherry. There are many tapas competitions in Spain, but there is only one National Tapas competition, which is celebrated every year in November. Keep yourself in hand! We still need to reach the market! Do not exchange your little things :) Translated with Google Translate
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Okay. If it is not at all tolerable, go to Bornet. This is the most typical representative of the Barcelona culinary and restaurant business. In addition to a good menu - this is when there is not much, but in the theme, good cuisine is when everything is fresh and the cook is not tired of his own work. In addition to the fun atmosphere, when you sit in comfort, your eyes rejoice, your hearing is comfortable and you want to sit still, besides normal maintenance - for me this is when three things are performed: first, they don’t flirt, second they don’t curry favor, thirdly they feel yours pace and know the cuisine, besides all this here in Bornet beautiful music. In addition, I really liked this piece of theirs: on their Facebook page, they publish what they are playing at the moment, and you know, even without being in a restaurant, you can hear his wave or not Translated with Google Translate
Jaume i
Remember Alfonso the Fourth? Togo, whose brother went to the monastery, and then he captured Sardinia and laid the cornerstone of the church of the Virgin Mary, the patron saint of sailors? So Haim is his first grandfather. This square bears his name. He ruled Aragon in the thirteenth century. He was called Haim the Conqueror. It was he who repulsed the Balearic Islands from the Muslims (Mallorca Island, Ibis Island), then conquered Valencia from the Muslims and then Murcia. He even went on a crusade, at the invitation of the Khan of the Golden Horde, to seize Jerusalem together, but having survived the storm at sea, he returned home, and his sons reached Acre in 1270. Only the Khan of the Golden Horde was not there, and they, as they say, were not empty-handed and swam home quarreling along the road. And Chaim’s wife was a Hungarian princess — Yolanda, originally from Esztergom — not far from Budapest. This is quite a rare case for European history. Translated with Google Translate
Estàtua eqüestre de Ramon Berenguer III
Crossing the Chaim I Square, we cross the Via Laetana, beyond which the Gothic Quarter begins. This is the heart of the old city of Barcelona. The square is named after Ramon Berger the Third. He also sits on a horse in the middle of the square. He was the son of Ramon Berger II and was ruled by Ramona in Barcelona in the 11th century and everything would be fine if it were not for the intrigues and quarrels within the Ramon family. Pope Ramon died on the hunt. In the murder of the twin brother accused Ramon. The Rycharsky tournament of honor recognized the twin brother as a murderer, and he went to Jerusalem to atone for sins from where he did not return, and the son and nephew of the two Ramon became Ramon III and now he is famous to this day. Created this statue by Josep Limaa. During his studies in Italy (1880–85), he made several successful sketches, including the equestrian statue of Ramon Berenger III, the Great. In 1888, the city council ordered him to turn the sketch into a natural-sized plaster monument, which after the success at the International Exhibition was kept in the art gallery Palacio de Bellas. Many years later, when the Plaza de Ramon Berenguer el Gran was built between Via Layette and the Santa Agata chapel, it was decided to place a bronze copy of the statue of Lemon. Since the sculptor died in 1934, the work was assigned to Frederick Mares. The monument was opened in 1950. With one controversial piquant story: the horse's tail broke off was lost. I had to make a new one, but it turned out to be disproportionately large and lush. Translated with Google Translate
La Muralla Romana
From Ramon Berenguer El Gran Square, continuing along the route, one can see a preserved fragment of the Roman city wall. These are “bricks” embedded among hewn stones. This construction technique was called "opus quadratum" (filler mortar and lime in the "formwork" of bricks). Medieval buildings were set up on the wall, among which the Chapel of Santa Agata stands out. Translated with Google Translate
Barcelona City History Museum
We go around the famous Barcelona History Museum. It is shortly called MUHBA Museu d'Història de Barcelona (Barcelona History Museum or MUHBA). It is responsible for the preservation and documentation of the history and architecture of the city. The museum is also working to spread knowledge about the history of the city, from its origins to the present day - from the Roman colony of Barcino to the dawn of medieval commerce; from the testimonies of the industrial revolution to the construction of the modern Eixample and the works of Gaudi. The central building of the museum is Plasio del Rey, in which extensive excavations of the ancient and early medieval city Translated with Google Translate
Capella de santa Àgueda
The beautiful Gothic chapel of Santa Agata de Barcelona was built in 1302, in the Plaza del Rey. Currently, the Tinella Hall along with the Chapel of Saint Agatha are part of the Museum of History of Barcelona. It was built by King Jaime II of Aragon and his wife Bianca of Anjou to become part of the royal palace and replace the old palace sacristy. The building is based on the Roman walls and is a superstructure of the altar and the central nave on the fortified Roman wall. Translated with Google Translate
Saló del tinell
Zalo del Tinell - formerly Zala del Borboll - is a large hall in the Royal Palace of Barcelona. On one of the inner walls of the hall there is a well-preserved wall painting, which depicts the conquest of Majorca. The history of the name of the halls named Borboll ceased together when the extinct militant dynasty that used this meeting room for writers of the Criminal Council of the Principality of Catalonia, made room for the ceremonies of the old royal palace - the residence of the earls of Barcelona and the kings of Aragon. Translated with Google Translate
Mirador del rei martí
The 15th-century tower of Mirador del Rey-Martí "The Watchtower of King Martin" is located next to the Lieutenant's Palace and the old Royal Palace. Its construction was completed in 1555. It has nothing to do with King Martin Humane, who died in 1410, but it is possible that before the construction of this tower in its place was another place and "remembers" the old name. The tower has a rectangular base five floors, formed by galleries of incomplete arches. Initially, it was completed with a hipped roof. Translated with Google Translate
Frederic Mares Museum
The Frederick Mares Museum is a sculpture museum. It is located in the halls of the old Royal Palace. In 1946, the Catalan sculptor and collector Frederic Mares, the Museum donated to the city authorities, his collection of sculptures, which two years later opened the museum. The museum has a department called "Sentimental Museum". It contains various items from the life of the Catalans: watches, fans, pipes, latches, snuff boxes, etc. Translated with Google Translate
Fira Mercat de Mercats
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The artisan market and the flea market next to it are among the most beloved places in Barcelona. Here come the residents of the city and tourists to gawk, gain impressions and certainly buy the things they like. Here, a lot of interesting handicrafts from unthinkable materials, endless design solutions and just nice little things that will keep the memory of this cozy city with an ancient history and a young soul. Translated with Google Translate
Barcelona Cathedral
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia is called simply the Barcelona Cathedral. This place is the residence of the Archbishop of Barcelona. The cathedral was built from the thirteenth to the fifteenth century, but the main part was erected in the fourteenth century. The roof of the cathedral is famous for its gargoyles, which display a wide range of different animals, both real and mythical. Evlalia is a thirteen-year-old girl who became an early Christian martyr and canonized. She is the patroness of the city. She was subjected to 13 tortures, the 12th of which was crucifixion on an oblique cross (two diagonals crossed as St. Andrew's cross). The events were in the Roman city of Barcene, which gave rise to Barcelona. According to legend, during the torture, a dove flew out of Eulilia’s mouth, a symbol of the holy spirit. Translated with Google Translate
Plaça Nova
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Plaça Nova - New Square is first mentioned in the annals of the city in 1358. In Roman times, there was one of the four main entrances to the Roman city of Barcelona. On the opposite side of the Plaza Nova is the building of the Association of Architects, known as the Collegial d'Arquitectes de Catalunya. Of course, the most impressive and magnificent spectacle are its friezes, which are made by the project of Pablo Picasso. On August 16, the day of San Roca, a celebration is held on the square, which preserves the many unique traditions of Barcelona, ​​dating back to the Middle Ages and even Roman times. Which makes it one of the city’s most special holidays. Translated with Google Translate
Torres romanes
On the Nueva Square, two cylindrical towers are preserved. They were near the gates of the Pretoria Roman Barsena. They were rebuilt in the 12th century, and served as the gateway to the bishop’s quarter in the Middle Ages. Translated with Google Translate
The Kiss of Freedom
This wall with Kiss is gradually becoming one of the symbols of Barcelona. She appeared on the 300th anniversary of the Catalan defeat in the War of the Spanish Succession (September 11, 1714. Do you remember the bloody history in the Citadel Park?). This day was called the Day of Catalonia. The initiative came from the photographer Joan Fonkuberta in collaboration with the publishing house El Periódico de Catalunya. In fact, the overall picture consists of small photographs that readers sent to El Periódico. The competition for the participation in which the photos were sent was called “live free”. So, 4000 photos turned into tiles from ceramics, and were distributed distributed in 50 rows of eighty tiles in each and together they form a picture of a kiss. This work was installed in the wall next to the private garden of the house on Isidra Nonell Square and, although it was a temporary installation, the city council of Barcelona decided to leave it forever. The fresco was opened on July 3, 2014 by the mayor of Barcelona, ​​Javier Trias. Translated with Google Translate
Font de Santa Anna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Fountain of sv. Anna (mother of St. Virgin Mary) is known since 1356. It was originally octagonal, and also served as a manger for horses. It was rebuilt in 1819 and again in 1918, when it was expanded and decorated with ceramic panels and glazed ceramic vases designed by Josep Aragai. The frescoes depict female and male figures, angels, fish, birds and flower ornaments, and on the front of the fountain you see "1918" - the year of completion of the work, displayed on the tile in Roman numerals. Translated with Google Translate
Plaça Del Pi
The square is surrounded by ancient decorative facades of shops and bars and restaurants. There is also a small craft market and a food market. Here can be a good catch of souvenirs and food. Plaça del Pi is located right at the end of Petrithol street, near Las Rambla. The Plaza del Pi in literal translation is literally called the Pine Square, because in the middle of the square there was a large pine, with time it sawed the pine, and the name remained. Translated with Google Translate
Plaça de Sant Josep Oriol
The church of Santa Maria del Pi is located on the square of the same name. It is a 14th century Catalan Gothic church, but the original church has existed since at least 987. In 1936, the church was completely destroyed during the fire and was later rebuilt for certain. The front facade has an incredible large pink window; this is in fact a restoration, made in 1940 based on data on the original window, which was destroyed in the 1936 fire. The church consists of one nave, which is covered with a vaulted ceiling, lying on the supporting columns. The fire of 1936 destroyed the main altar, statues, choirs and organ created in 1808 by Johan de Cybourg. Translated with Google Translate
Museo Del Zapato
Footwear Museum in Catalonia, Museu del Calçat was opened in 1970. It presented samples of various types of shoes from different eras. For many years he remained in the old House of the Zapateros Guild, the headquarters of the Brotherhood of St. Mark - one of the four evangelists. The collection of shoes along with the ancient Roman samples, shoes from the 18th century to the present day, which often belonged to famous Catalans. For example, such as musician Pau Casals. There were also samples of shoemakers' tools, such as the Columbus Shoe: the same size as the statue's foot, which is a monument to Columbus in Barcelona. However, due to the lack of funding, the shoe museum in Barcelona was supposed to close its doors at the end of 2015. The Plaza de San Felipe Neri itself is named after the baroque church of the same name, which rises above it. From here lies the path to the Call and San Felipe Neri quarters. The proximity to the Jewish quarter of Kal, explains the presence of square in the Gothic city. The square stands in the old medieval Jewish cemetery of Montjuic del Obispo, destroyed during the Spanish Civil War. Translated with Google Translate
Plaça de Garriga i Bachs
Ceramic frescoes depict the execution of the heroes of Catalan resistance to Napoleonic troops in 1809. This small space near the Catedral de la Seu convent became the memorial site for the fighters for the freedom and independence of Barcelona during the French intervention. The first three scenes show five resistance leaders who are awaiting execution through the guillotine or through hanging. They do not know their fate, but they know that, by tradition, the guillotine was considered a lower and less humane form of execution of execution than the gallows. The fourth scene depicts the surrender of three activists who tried to raise a general uprising in Barcelona in order to save those five convicted to death. They rang the bells, announcing a riot over the city, but they, pale and exhausted after 72 hours of trying to hide in the pipes of the organ, surrendered to French captivity after the French promised them amnesty. All three were subsequently executed. In the center there is a bronze statue of five fighters martyred for the freedom of Barcelona. The sculptor of this monument is already known to us. This is Josep Limone, whose fruitful activities in Barcelona also include the frieze on the Arc de Triomphe and the equestrian statue of Count Ramon Berenguer III (1068-1131) on the Place de Ramon-Berenguer el Gran, between Via Layette and the Cathedral. Translated with Google Translate
Pont gòtic
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The Gothic Bridge or the Kiss Bridge, as well as the Lacy Bridge, or also called the Bridge of Sighs people, was built in 1926. It connects the Government House of Barcelona with the Residence of the President. This elegant neo-gothic bridge fits perfectly into the medieval architecture of the quarter. It was created by talented architect Juan Rubio. He was famous for his modernism and Antonio Gaudi loved working with him. They jointly performed projects such as the Casa Batlló, the Sagrada Familia and other famous buildings of the city. Translated with Google Translate
Palau de la generalitat de catalunya
Palau de la Generalitat de Catalunya is a historic palace that houses the offices of the Presidium of Catalonia. It is one of the few medieval buildings in all of Europe, which still functions as the seat of government and in which the institutions for which it was originally built are located. The original building was purchased in 1400 by the then president of the Barcelona Guild League - Alfonso de Tus. The building was located on Carrer de San Ponorate, in the former Jewish quarter. After 16 years, it was expanded by Bishop Mark Safon, who also built the chapel of St. George in 1434. Nearly a hundred years after the expulsion of Jews from Spain, Pere Blai in 1596 designed the current main Renaissance façade on San Juam Square. This is the first grand facade, made in this architectural style in Catalonia. Later several other houses were bought and integrated into the palace. Translated with Google Translate
Domus Romana Y SILOS medievales
In 1999, during construction work on the expansion of the municipality, a medieval building was found in the Jewish quarter of Barcelona. Its walls and floor are located in the basement of Casa Morell, not far from the Plaza de Sant Jaume and its entrance costs only 2 euros. From April 2010, you can visit this archaeological monument, which combines medieval and Roman Barcelona. If the switch is on, then only fragments of a Roman mansion of the fourth century are lit. They include beautiful mosaics. And if you switch the switch to the other side, the silos are highlighted, (grain bins), where the inhabitants of the thirteenth and fourteenth century Jewish quarters harvested grain. The situation of the Jews in Barcelona deteriorated throughout the XIV century. The persecutions of 1391 resulted in the killing of 400 Jews and the violent baptism of the rest, with the exception of a few who managed to escape. Translated with Google Translate
MUHBA Domus Sant Honorat
In the basement along Carrer San Honorate, on the corner of Carrer de la Fruta, you can go down to the excavation of a Roman house that was built in the 4th century AD Part of the peristyle (or the central arcade garden) was preserved with several lacunae (tanks containing water and plants). This courtyard provided access to various rooms, many of which were decorated with mosaics and paintings. The house had its own bath. The decoration of the house and its location (next to the Roman Barsiny Forum), as well as its size, indicate that it was the home of one of the most famous families in the city. For centuries, the house underwent divisions and transformations, until it finally changed its purpose. In medieval times, large silos were dug in this place to store grain in the area of ​​Kal (from Kagal, the Jewish quarter). The Jewish history of Barcelona mentions the famous Barcelona sage and Rabbi Rashbi (Rabbi Shlomo Ben Abraham), who was a student of Ramban. Translated with Google Translate
Sinagoga Mayor de Barcelona
In 1987, the explorer of medieval Barcelona, ​​Jaume Riera and Sans, passed the first scientific steps that suggested the exact location of the Great Synagogue of Barcelona before the tragedy of 1391. The oldest part of the Jewish quarter - the large quarter (Cal Mayor) was located between the streets of Arc de San Ramon, Call, Bisbe and Sant Sever. By the middle of the XIII century, the geographic space designated for the Jewish quarter expanded and the thriving community grew to the territory of what is now the church of San Jaume. This part of the quarter became known as the small Jewish quarter - Call Menor. In 1263, in Barcelona, ​​a public dispute between Nahmanides and the cross-monk Pablo Cristiani, famous in Jewish history, took place. The purpose of this dispute was to prove that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, but the Jews did not accept him. However, the words from the prophecies, the Old Testament, quoted by the Ramban served as a hasty conclusion of the dispute and further oppression of the Jews. In particular, Ramban mentioned the prophecy about “Cut swords into plowshares”, which did not appeal to the medieval rulers of the city. Harassment of the Jews, the ban on trade with Syria and Egypt, the repurchase of property and homes, led to a gradual decline. The new Jewish cemetery was rendered far beyond the city to the mountain, which received the Jewish nickname - Mon (mountain) Zhuik - Jewish. The bloodiest day in the history of the Jewish community of Barcelona was August 5, 1391. On the day when Santo Domingo was celebrated, the quarter was attacked. 400 people were killed, the rest were forcibly baptized. After the pogrom, the Jewish name of the street was changed to Sant Doménec. The synagogue building along with all the things of the community passed into the hands of the king. Translated with Google Translate
Hotel el call
The central street of the Jewish quarter is Cal. This word comes from Kahal - what is meant by the community. She led outside the city and into the square in front of the city hall. Translated with Google Translate
Monumento a los Castellers
This sculpture is a monument to castels. Casteli or “human castles” are pyramids made up of people. They decided to build during the festivals in Catalonia. Teams of castellans (colles castelleres) compete in the construction of the highest castles. The tradition comes from Tarragona in the south of Catalonia and it is from the ancient religious dance processions that have lost their religious and dancing essence, and are only guided by creating as high human pyramids as possible. Translated with Google Translate
Capel of saint christopher of regomir
Barcelona and St. Christopher is an interesting tradition. The saint was so popular in Barcelona that several legends formed around him. According to the eight-hundred-year-old tradition, every year on July 10, at night, St. Christopher sails to the city by boat. He goes ashore, and with the baby Jesus on the back, goes along La Rambla and disappears when he reaches the top. Those lucky enough to see him will enjoy good luck all year round. The festival of St. Christopher is currently celebrated during the day on July 10 right in front of the chapel. Here is the blessing of vehicles. Absolutely every wheeled vehicle, including strollers, motorcycles, wheelchairs and trucks, is blessed by the priest and gives a sprig of lavender, a souvenir and a small holy imprint for each driver. Some drivers decorate their cars for the occasion. For several years, fans of vintage cars have been queuing for most of the day to consecrate their cars before the parade on Piazza San Jaume. Translated with Google Translate
Muralla romana
Another reminder of the Roman history of Barcelona. These city walls belong to the Roman city, based on the location of a convenient bay after the Punic Wars. They say the descendants of Hannibal themselves founded the city. Translated with Google Translate
El Cap de Barcelona
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The head of Barcelona is a sculpture on the waterfront in the city center, which was timed to the 1992 Olympic Games. It is made of concrete and ceramics. This abstract performance of the female head looks as one would expect from a sculpture of Liechtenstein. Liechtenstein was not interested in three-dimensional art until the end of the 1970s, and before that, its main focus was on pop art. Roy Lichtenstein was born in New York to a Jewish family. Translated with Google Translate
Plaça de l'Ictineo
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
This square is named after the first Ictíneo submarine that can be considered the world's first submarine. It was built in Barcelona in 1858-1859 by engineer Narcis Monturiol. While living in Cadaqués, Monturiol witnessed the death of a coral harvester, which inspired him with the idea of ​​a ship that could sail underwater and allow coral divers to work in safety. He developed his ideas for more than 12 years, fearing that he might be ridiculed, and also because he did not have the funds to build such a vessel. A friend convinced him that his idea should be implemented, and that sufficient funds and support could be obtained from friends and the general public. Monturiol named his ship Ictíneo, from the ancient Greek ἰχθύς - ichtys (fish) and naus (boat). As he said, “Ictíneo” is like a fish, it has a tail, fins to control its direction of movement, and bubbles and ballast to maintain balance in the water from the moment of immersion. In September 1857 in Barcelona, ​​the first commercial company in Spain was organized, dedicated to underwater navigation. Its share capital was 10,000 pesetas. June 28, 1859 Monturiol was ready for the first flight. The submarine was launched in the harbor of Barcelona. However, when diving, the boat ran into underwater piles and the repair of the submarine, estimated by Monturiol, exceeded the remaining funds. However, he repaired damaged portholes, the hull and ballast system, and limited the dive depth to 20 meters (66 feet). In the summer of 1859, Monturiol completed more than 20 test dives. He gradually increased the depth of the dive, until he reached his limit of 20 meters (66 feet), and realized that the crew could remain under water for about 2 hours using only oxygen inside the hull of the boat. Ictíneo eventually died in January 1862 after 50 dives. The submarine was anchored when the freighter collided with it. This was the creation of Ictíneo II. A modern copy of Ictíneo I stands at the entrance to the gardens of the Maritime Museum in Barcelona. Translated with Google Translate
Aquarium Barcelona
Aquarium Barcelona
As a holiday or entertainment, especially if you are with children, you can visit the aquarium. This is a large and one of the most convenient aquariums in Europe. Translated with Google Translate
Aquarium Barcelona
Aquarium Barcelona
Here you can watch the inhabitants of the Gulf of Barcelona. Translated with Google Translate
Aquarium Barcelona
Aquarium Barcelona
Well, the most visited pavilion is of course the shark pool. You can walk along the bottom of this giant aquarium and watch the life of the eye through a glass tunnel. Translated with Google Translate
Aquarium Barcelona
Aquarium Barcelona
In addition, there is a real submarine here and it is a good continuation of the history of the world's first submarine. Translated with Google Translate
Aquarium Barcelona
Aquarium Barcelona
For me, a pavilion with jellyfish was a revelation and surprise. It turns out there are jellyfish that live forever. That is, they have no limit of life. This news shook my ideas that nothing lasts forever. Translated with Google Translate
This is a nice shopping center. And gawk and buy and eat and see the sea. Translated with Google Translate
Puente Movil Maremagnum
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
This bridge is like a continuation of the most famous street of the city of Rambla and connects the city and the center of Maremagnum, which is the result of the restructuring and restoration of the coastline of Barcelona. He began to materialize in the late 1980s on the occasion of the 1992 Olympic Games. The dock of the old port was designed for retrofitting and restructuring, with the aim of creating an IMAX panoramic cinema, an aquarium and the Maremagnum shopping center. All of them were opened in 1995. Translated with Google Translate
Deck View To Rambla De Mar
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Puerto Viejo is the oldest part of the port of Barcelona. It was here that the port of Barcelona was born a little more than 2 thousand years ago. Approximately in the fourth century BC, in the territory of present-day Barcelona, ​​there lived the Layta, a tribe of Iberians who inhabited the coast between the Llobregat and Tordera rivers. Their main settlement was called Barkeno and was located on Mount Montjuic. They traded with the Greek colony of Ampouria, and for this purpose they grew barley. Translated with Google Translate
Mirador de colom
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
However, not only dry historical facts explain the city its name and history. There are various legends regarding the founding of Barcelona. For example, it is said that the city was founded by the hero of Greek myths, Heracles 400 years before the founding of Rome. And in the III century, the city was rebuilt by Hamilcar Barca, the father of Hannibal, who named the city of Barsino by the name of its kind. But, no matter how many stories of the creation of the city, the fact remains that Christopher Columbus landed on his caravel right here in Barcelona on his return from his first trip to America. Here is a monument to these events today. Translated with Google Translate
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Sociedad Dramática de Aficionados (The Society of Theater Lovers), established in 1837 on the initiative of Manuel Guibert, created the Liseu Theater in Barcelona. The society, whose meetings were held in the former Monzio Monastery, included members of the National Militia, an armed organization of citizens with liberal views. The modern building on Rambla Avenue was inaugurated on April 4, 1847. Construction was financed by the free sale of shares, which meant that the lodges and seats in the stalls would be privately owned. The shareholders formed the Societat del Gran Teatre del Liceu, known as the "Societat de Propietaris" (Owners' Society), which was responsible for managing the Gran Teatre del Liceu since 1855. The theater was managed by an impresario, who was granted a concession for clerical work in exchange for proceeds from the sale of seats not reserved for the society itself. Such a system turned out to be a wealthy system in the economy of art, and it existed until 1980. Translated with Google Translate
La boqueria
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
La Biqueria is the most famous market in Barcelona. The first mention of La Boqueria dates back to 1217. On trays installed near the old city gates, they mainly sold meat. It is said that the name La Boqueria comes from the word boc, which means goat - the most popular meat sold here at the time. The market was created spontaneously at the city gates by merchants who tried to sell part of their products even before entering the city so that part of the proceeds would not be subject to city fees. Translated with Google Translate
From December 1470, pork meat was sold here, and this place became known as Mercat Bornet. Then it became known as Mercat de la Palla and, most interestingly, this market has not received official status for a long time. Most people considered it the backyard of the nearby Placa Nova market. Translated with Google Translate
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
A real “breakthrough” in Boqueira’s life occurred in the eighteenth century, when La Rambla began to gain popularity. This pulled sellers from nearby cities. The old traders didn’t like it very much, which led to violent conflicts and often reached the hands of the assault. The city authorities decided that the butchers screaming at each other were not the best entertainment for those who walk along the most famous pedestrian street of the city, so they moved the market to a new place to the gardens of St. Joseph. Still close to La Rambla, but not right on the street itself. Soon the “new market” burned down, and the trade officially returned to the ranks. Translated with Google Translate
bcnKITCHEN - La Boquería
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Over the past 150 years of its official existence in the market there have been several changes. In 1861, fruit and vegetable sellers got their places here. Two years after the restructuring of 1869, the market literally began to shine due to the introduction of gas lighting at Christmas in 1871. In 1911, merchants of fish got their own places, and the steel roof, which is still a symbol of the industrial revolution and a grand entrance portal, was built in 1914. Translated with Google Translate
Ramos Boqueria
Ramos Boqueria
Today in the market La Boqueria traded sellers in the fourth generation. They keep long traditions of the market and are full of new ideas that make it one of the most famous markets in Spain. Today in Spain there is no food that cannot be found here; and in addition to a wide range of products, La Boqueria offers craft shops and farm shops. Translated with Google Translate
Parròquia de la Verge de Betlem
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
L'Església de Betlem, the church of Bethlehem, is a rare example of baroque architecture in Barcelona. La Mare de Déu de Betlem or the Mother of God of Bethlehem was built on the site of the old church, which dates from 1553 and was originally the main Jesuit school in the city. The school and the chapel burned down, and the current building was built between 1680 and 1732 and at that time it was considered the most important church in Barcelona. It is worth remembering that Catalonia was the birthplace of the founder of the Order of the Jesuits - Ignatius de Loyola. He founded the movement in Montserrat in 1522, and subsequently spent several months in nearby Manresa, creating the basic concepts of the Society of Jesus. Therefore, Barcelona can be considered as the center of the counter-reform. In 1553, the Jesuits were granted the right to build a church along La Rambla, along with a school, and this complex was consecrated two years later. However, in 1671, after the canonization of the Catalan Jesuit Saint Francesca Borja, great celebrations were held along the Ramblas, with torchlight processions as a result of which, the fire spread to the church, and it burned to the ground. In 1767, the Jesuits were expelled from Catalonia, and the church remained a haven for the poor in the El Raval quarter, traditionally considered the red light district in Barcelona. The main entrance is framed by two pillars of Solomon and sculptures of Jesuit saints Ignatius Loyola and Francesca de Borja. Translated with Google Translate
Parròquia de la Verge de Betlem
Parròquia de la Verge de Betlem
The side wall along La Rambla has a rather impressive brickwork and dominates most of the houses on La Rambla. However, an attentive observer will notice two finely decorated entrances. The one closest to Carrer del Carme is surmounted by baby Jesus, and on the other is a sculpture of John the Baptist. Translated with Google Translate
Plaça de catalunya
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
This lively square is the heart of Barcelona. Favorite point of meetings, dates, holidays, festivals. There are large shopping centers and department stores, street bazaars and a winter skating rink. This square also connects the stylish and trendy Eixample quarter and the old city. The square was discovered by King Alfonso XIII in 1927. Previously, there was a wasteland in front of the gate to the walled city. There are six sculptural groups in the square: they represent the four Catalan capitals, wisdom and work. When the city was preparing for the 1929 International Exhibition, some of the most luxurious hotels, bars and theaters in Barcelona were built around the square. Almost none of them survived the civil war, with the exception of buildings such as Maison Dorée, Colón and Suís. Translated with Google Translate
Casa Batlló
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Since 1860, when an ambitious city development plan (Plan Cerd) was approved in Barcelona, ​​Passeig de Gracia began to develop as the main thoroughfare, and the most prominent families of the city began to settle here. In the nineteenth century, the street became a place for pedestrians and carriages, and from the twentieth century, cars appeared on the main avenue. The building was built in 1877 by Emilio Sala Cortes (one of the professors of architecture of Gaudi), when there was still no electricity in Barcelona. In 1903, it was acquired by Mr. Josep Ballo, a textile industrialist and prominent businessman who owned several factories in Barcelona. Ballo gave Antonio Gaudi complete creative freedom, entrusting him with the task of demolishing a building and building something of which kind. However, thanks to the talent of Gaudi, the demolition of the house was prevented. The architect completely changed the facade and redistributed the internal space. In addition to its artistic value, the house began to have a great functionality, more characteristic of our time than the beginning of the XX century. Next to Casa Batlló, prominent architects rebuilt other houses. They even competed for city prizes announced by the Barcelona City Council. These houses are also built in modern style and together with Casa Batlló form a unique architectural group. The Casa Batlló ceased to belong to the Casa Batlló in the 1950s. After the placement of various companies and individuals, since the 1990s, the building has been in the hands of the current owners, the Bernat family, which completely restored the house and opened it to the public. Translated with Google Translate
Casa Milà
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Casa Milà was built for Rosa Semone and her husband Pere Mila. Rosa Semonet was the rich widow of Josep Guardiola, a former colonist who returned from South America and made his fortune in a coffee plantation in Guatemala. Her second husband, Pere Mila, was a construction contractor known for his vibrant lifestyle. In 1905, Mila and Semone got married, and on June 9 of the same year, Rosa bought a house with a garden, which occupied an area of ​​1,835 square meters and was located on Passeig de Gracia. In September, they ordered the construction of a new house from Gaudi, wanting to live on the main floor and rent the remaining apartments. On February 2, 1906, the project was submitted to the city council of Barcelona, ​​and work began on the demolition of an already existing building. Gaudi decided not to rebuild it, as in the case of the Casa Batlló. In 1940, Mila died. Semone sold property in 1946 for 18 million pesetas to Josep Balwe and Pellice, famous for its department stores. Compañía Inmobiliaria Provenza was created to manage the building. Rosa Semone continued to live on the main floor until her death in 1964. Translated with Google Translate
Don't waste time for planning
Use detailed routes created by your friends and professionals.
Don't be afraid to get lost in new places!
Pinsteps - globe travel application. Travel pictures.
Don't waste time for planning
Open the world with experience of your friends and professionals without any fear.