Places to visit in Vienna

Vienna City Park


City park as a house book. As soon as the yellowed sheets are touched, the city will begin to dump its stories with enthusiasm. They will be written in calligraphic handwriting with classic curls, imitating the era, or chopped pen strokes, in accordance with the directives of the time. With crafty boasting, they will hoist glorious citizens on a pedestal or, like skeletons in a closet, hide their obscene acts in the shadow of distant alleys. His trees whisper past rumors, ponds keep silent secrets, and swarms of pigeons sweep dried leaves from the tracks like dust from a book cover. And the longer you stay in the park, the more you understand that time puts everything in its place, passions disappear and only heaven and silence patronize the living, contemplating the earthly vanity from above. Such a city park in Vienna. Translated with Google Translate

Author & Co-authors
Evgeny Praisman (author)
Здравствуйте! Добро пожаловать в мои экскурсии! Я как-то понял, что погулять с каждым я не успею, гулять в группах мало кому сейчас хочется, а гулять «вслепую» быстро становится скучно. Так и появилась идея записывать маршруты и создавать полноценные путеводители, которые я здесь собираю. Если вы попали сюда, значит вам нужен ключик, чтобы открыть маршрут – пожалуйста! Напишите мне сообщение на телефон +972 537907561 или на и я с радостью вам помогу! Иначе, зачем я всё это делаю?
2.8 km
1h 7 m
Places with media
Kursalon, city park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Kursalon or Kursalon Hubner is a concert hall built on the site of the old walls. Back in 1857, Emperor Franz Josef decided on a global reorganization of Vienna transport. The ramparts were dismantled, and the wide area that became free began to be built up with wide boulevards. It was an expanse for architects and builders, and so modern Viennese avenues appeared. Among other delights, a city park was opened in 1862, and it has a hydropathic center: mineral waters from all the resorts of the empire were offered here. Here, on October 15, 1868, the first concert of Johann Strauss took place and, since that time, the fate of the building is inextricably linked with concerts and performances. In 1908, Kursalon was leased to Hans Hübner, as a result of which a new name was assigned to the task. And after almost 90 years in 1990, the Hübner family bought the building from the city administration in private ownership. Translated with Google Translate Translated with Google Translate

Kursalon, city park, Vienna
Kursalon, city park, Vienna

Beautiful views of Kursalon and the clock. Watch will be discussed in this park. Translated with Google Translate

Strauss Monument, City Park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

The golden statue of Johann Baptiste Strauss in the Vienna City Park is one of the most photographed monuments in the Austrian capital. His father, also Johann Batis Strauss, was a composer. His two brothers Joseph and Edward were also composers. Their father’s grandfather was born in Buda and, being a Jew who converted to Christianity, opened his way to a big world for his children. Of all the talented descendants of Johann Michael Strauss, only the great-grandson of Johann Baptiste received the permanent title “King of Waltz”. In 1903, four years after the death of Strauss, a committee was convened under the chairmanship of Princess Rosa Croy-Sternberg (1836-1918) whose task was to develop a monument in honor of the composer. Initially, it was planned to create an entire structure and allocate a special place for it in the city, and only in 1907, the current location in the city park was chosen. The Vienna City Council announced in 1905 the amount of its participation in the project in the amount of 10,000 kroons (which was not paid until 1913) and in the next 1906 the committee announced a competition. Among other candidates, it was attended by the architect Alfred Castelliz (1870-1940), sculptors Franz Metzner and Edmund Hellmer, whose project was unanimously approved by the committee. However, the execution of the project was postponed. On the one hand, due to funding problems, and on the other, due to the outbreak of the First World War. In the end, on January 23, 1920, the Vienna City Council again allocated funding, and on June 26, 1921, the grand opening of the monument took place, during which the new Vienna Philharmonic was presented to the crowns. In 1935, the gilding of the statue was damaged (the Jewish past of the composer was remembered), and only in 1991 the original condition of the monument was restored. In 2011, a comprehensive reconstruction was carried out from the foundation to the statue, which cost about 300,000 euros. Replicas of the statue can be found since the 1990 Expo in Osaka (Japan), starting from the 1999 Expo in Kunming (China), from 2002 in Los Coleshales Park in Havana (Cuba) and from 2016 in front of the Shanghai Tower. Translated with Google Translate

Danube Lady Fountain, city park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

The Donauweibchenbrunnen Fountain Danube Lady consists of a stone column of karst limestone, four round bowls and masks in the form of a gargoyle. At the top of the stone column is the figure of a woman on the Danube, a mythical figure who supposedly helped poor fishermen or warned them of floods in the Danube. At her feet is a small sign with the emblem of Vienna. Initially, Donauweibchenbrunnen was created by Hans Gasser by order of the municipality of Vienna in 1858 for the Fischhof (Fisherman's Coast), but was not installed there, but was placed in a city warehouse, where it lay for two years. On September 30, 1865, it was finally shown to the public as the first figured decorations of the city park. During the Second World War, a woman from the Danube, made of expensive and fragile Carrara marble, was badly damaged, so in 1948 the sculptor Fellinger made a stone copy that replaced the original. At the same time, crowns weave rumors about copies and originals. For example, they say that at the Imperial Hotel on the Ringstrasse there is an original Danube lady. They also say that a small version of the fountain, also made of Carrara marble, has been preserved in the wine museum on Karlsplatz. Another real, they say, was in a former Roman bath in the 2nd Vienna district. Translated with Google Translate

Monument to Emil Jacob Schindler, City Park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Emil Jacob Schindler was born in Vienna Leopoldstadt (the other side of the Danube) in the same former fishing village, which was patronized by a Lady from the Danube. His father was a serious industrialist and wealthy in weaving. He wanted his son to receive a decent public service. But Emil did not fulfill his father’s desire, but began to study painting at the Academy of Fine Arts. Schindler was the main representative of the moderate Viennese impressionist school of landscape painting. Hans Makart was one of his friends. At the age of 31, he married Anna, who was already a burden on their daughter Alma. A small family lived with artist-colleague Julius Victor Berger. During the absence of Emil Jacob, Anna Schindler began a relationship with Julius Victor. Margaret Julie Schindler, born August 16, 1880, is probably Berger's daughter. Emil Jacob Schindler died at the height of his success in 1892 as a result of appendicitis not operated on time. He was honored with a grave at the Vienna Central Cemetery, which was also created by the sculptor Edmund Hellmer, but, unfortunately, was destroyed by the consequences of the war. Schindler’s widow married in 1895 the artist Karl Moll (1861-1945), with whom she already had a relationship during the life of her husband. Both are buried in a tomb, near Alma Mahler, at the Grinzinger Cemetery. The fate of the first daughter of Schindler. Remember her name was Alma? The 17-year-old Alma was looked after by the artist Gustav Klimt. She had an affair with composer Alexander von Zemlinsky, but she married the composer and conductor Gustav Mahler, who was 19 years older than her. In this marriage, she had two daughters - Mary, who died in the fifth year of her life, and Anna. Already during Mahler’s life, Alma began an affair with the architect and founder of the Bauhaus, Walter Gropius, whom she eventually married after Mahler’s death and a passionate romance with the artist Oscar Kokoschka, who dedicated one of her best paintings, “Bride of the Wind”. In a short marriage with Gropius, the daughter of Manon was born. After a divorce from Gropius, she became the wife of the writer Franz Werfel, with whom she emigrated to the United States. She outlined the history of her life in the autobiography “My Life”. Public opinion regarding Alma Mahler-Werfel was very mixed. Alma herself considered herself a muse, inspiring creativity, and some contemporaries agreed with this assessment. Berndt W. Wessling, one of Alma Mahler-Werfel’s biographers, called her "a symbolic image in the history of this century." Other contemporaries saw in Alma a sexually obsessed fatal woman who used her famous life companions, an anti-Semitic who wrote, in particular, in her diary, that Jews could be dealt with, but they could not be married, and forced Franz Werfel to renounce marriage Judaism. The writer Gina Kaus claimed Alma was the worst person she knew. Ivan Gaulle's wife, Claire, wrote that “the one who married Alma Mahler must die”, and Alma’s friend Marietta Thorberg believed that Alma was both a great woman and a cesspool. Translated with Google Translate

Monument to Anton Bruckner, City Park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Anton Bruckner was born in Ansfelden, Upper Austria, in 1824 and died in Vienna in 1896. He was buried in a crypt in St. Florian's Abbey. Just three years after his death, a monument was unveiled in the city park. Victor Tilgner and Fritz Zerrich designed it. This monument, severely damaged by acts of vandalism, was restored, but then was moved to the garden of the University of Music. The current pedestal was made by the artist Stefan Kameitsky, the monument was returned to the city park in 1988. The base of Las marble simply replaces the original design and complicates the work of pests. In the city park, vandalism of monuments is, unfortunately, a common occurrence. It is said that the history of wrecking begins with right-wing elements whose Austrian ideals for the Austrians encouraged them to desecrate the monuments of all those who, in their opinion, were sick with liberalism, openness, and tolerance. But, ironically, modern vandalism has already become a tradition among just any rabble who are far from any views or ideals, except for simple hooliganism and banditry. Translated with Google Translate

Antique Clock, City Park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Following the trends of other European cities, the first public clock in Vienna was installed in 1415 on the south tower of St. Stephen's Cathedral. Until the 18th century, there were mainly church clocks, which were usually located on belfries. During the 19th century, watches began to appear on other buildings, on town halls, for example. As a result of the increased need of the townspeople to know the exact time, today's standard of the dial with hour and minute hands has been established. In 1862, the clock was installed in St. Stephen's Cathedral in two round windows. While the left watch is a traditional dial and pointer, the right one got a jumping step for the hourly and five-minute hands, which was replaced in 1909 with one jump per minute. Since 1864, numerous improvements have been made in the supply of watches to citizens on the basis of a resolution of the Vienna Municipal Council. Among other things, all suburbs received at least one public clock. In addition, in some tower clocks, the dial was replaced with a transparent backlight, which made it possible to see time at night. In addition to the different façade watches, a new type was added in 1865: a desk and column clock, designed as part of the Stadtmobiliars. The first column clock was commissioned in September 1865 on a pilot basis in Am Hof and installed near Karlter on Praterstrasse. In 1877, the first pneumatic-driven watch in the world was solemnly commissioned at Schottenring. When after some time the clock turned out to be too inaccurate, they looked for other methods of controlling the clockwork. The solution was developed by Friedrich von Lössl, which took into account daily changes in air pressure and air temperature to prevent heating or cooling of the plant spring. In August 1883, a pavilion equipped with the World Clock was opened in the city park. The clock showed the current time in Vienna, created a special hourly game at dawn and dusk, and was also equipped with several smaller clocks that showed time in various other cities, such as Paris, London and Istanbul. After electrification of the Vienna tram of 1897 and street lighting of 1902 in October 1906, the first electric clock of Vienna was opened, which crowns Arthaberbrunnen at the Arthaberpark. And the most ancient and famous city clocks we will see later. It would be nice to catch it by 12:00. Translated with Google Translate

Monument to Robert Stolz, City Park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

In 1896, Robert Stolz graduated from the Vienna Conservatory at the age of 16. A year later he became an opera accompanist in the City Theater of Graz, then as bandmaster in Marburg, then in Drava and in 1902 in the city theater of Salzburg. During the First World War, Stolz served in the Austrian imperial army as bandmaster. After the war, experiencing a comprehensive crisis, Stoltz decided to take up the “win-win” business and opened the theater variety show “Max und Moritz”. Subsequently, Stolz called the venture with the theater “the biggest debacle in my entire career” and, on the run from creditors, Stolz moved to Berlin in 1924. Two years later, in 1926, he returned to Vienna. After the National Socialists came to power in 1933, R. Stolz in his limousine secretly took out several Jews and were politically persecuted to Austria. In total, he made 21 trips. In 1938, after the Anschluss, Stolz reached Paris through Zurich. Before fleeing from Vienna, the fourth wife of Robert Stolz, a certain Lilly, leaving him, stole all the jewelry and documents. Finding himself naked and barefoot in Paris, Stolz was arrested on November 30, 1939 by the French police and interned in the Colombe camp as a "hostile foreigner." He was helped by a chance acquaintance with the nineteen-year-old daughter of the French banker Yvonne Louise Ulrich, who studied in Paris as a lawyer. She raised several thousand francs for a bribe to free the composer. In 1940, Stolz emigrated to New York, where he lived all the war years. On August 28, 1941, Stolz was deprived of German citizenship, his property was seized. October 30, 1946 Robert and the French girl who saved his life, now his wife Ainzi Stolz returned to Vienna. They became the first civilians to be allowed to fly from the US to Austria. They had visas numbered 1 and 2. At the Vienna International Airport, a gala reception was held in their honor, attended by Vienna Mayor Theodor Körner. Translated with Google Translate

Schubert Monument, City Park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Almost ten years will pass from the idea to the creation of a monument to Schubert to its implementation (1872). But, it is worth noting that in 1862, the Vienna Society of Male Chants took the initiative to honor the memory of the great composer with paid concerts, and put the proceeds to the monument. Everything would be fine if most of the money had not been spent on new fun nights and folk concerts. But this initiative inspired other singing clubs to also take part in financing. Two years later (1864) after heavy chants, it was clear that the monument should be placed in the city park, but where? The male singing club advocated for the only high point of the city park (later called Zelinkahgegel), but the place was found in accordance with the park architecture. Then another question arose: Schubert without glasses! With a score and pen? But the artistic advisory committee of the city council found it original to place Schubert, under a linden tree (Linden), in a natural environment singing the character and spirit of the great composer. Closer to the people, with a look to the people, with the music of the people. “From green leafy thread,” said later, “the marble figure of Franz Schubert stands out for years.” Translated with Google Translate

Monument to Andreas Zelinka, City Park, Vienna
Monument to Andreas Zelinka, City Park, Vienna

Here, on the only low hill of the city park, a bronze bust of the burgomaster Andreas Zelinka is set. On this elevation, fans of Schubert’s work wanted to erect a monument to the composer, but the city council considered the image of the Mayor more important for the city, and Schubert, as already mentioned, was allocated a place under the linden tree. Translated with Google Translate

Blumen Lippe Flower Shop, City Park, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

This flower shop, at the entrance to the city park, has been around for almost 80 years. It was opened in 1940 and was the most convenient and pleasant place to buy a bouquet before a date in the park. Indeed, there is a fairly large selection of colors that attract the eye from afar. Prices are quite reasonable (I say from the experience of the average resident of Tel Aviv). A small bouquet of 10 euros. The staff is very friendly. In front of the flower shop there is a bus stop and you can see how many crowns while away waiting time for choosing a beautiful bouquet, just at home or for a gift. Translated with Google Translate

House of the industrialist Klein. Klein Palais, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

In 1867, the architect Karl Tietz built a three-story building for a family of Klein industrialists. The rear wing was destroyed in 1945. The strict palace is made in the form of a neo-renaissance. The columned portico of the arched portal was demolished in 1958, and the side niches were broken for the entrances. In 1989, the palace was restored. In Beletage you can see a well-preserved interior ensemble: a three-story hall with ceiling painting "Foundation of the hearth" is accompanied by a suite consisting of a hall and two salons. The ballroom is lined with light blue wall panels and a ceiling image of the seasons. The Klein family was engaged in the construction of iron and especially railway bridges. The Klein brothers were among the pioneers of railway construction in the monarchy. The first route, built in 1837, ran through Vienna to Genserndorf (Kaiser-Ferdinands-Nordbahn). In 1847, the Gebrüder Klein company was founded. Until 1873, the Klein brothers built more than 3,500 kilometers of railway lines throughout the monarchy. In 1844, the brothers acquired factories in Zöptau (Czech: Sobotin). Owning this industrial plant allowed the company to produce the steel necessary for the structures themselves. A bridge-building factory was built in Zöptau, initially consisting of chain bridges, and then other steel bridges. By 1898 alone, 1,436 railway bridges were produced. Translated with Google Translate

Monument to Karl Luger, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

In 1893, Karl Luger founded the Christian Social Party, which had clearly anti-Semitic views. Two years later he won the elections to the municipality of Vienna and anti-Semite became the mayor of the city. The views of Luger caused disrespect for some, admiration for others, but, without any doubt, had an impact on Adolf Hitler, who would be in Vienna almost ten years later. He rented cheap housing near the river, but was in different Cafes, including Cetral Cafe. The atmosphere of Viennese cafes was special. They were not unambiguously right or left, right or wrong, good or bad, their own or others. These divisions will come later, when misfortune comes and the name of this misfortune is war. Hitler was indignant at what he considered the inconsistency of Luger anti-Semitism. For example, along with anti-Semitic speeches, Luger was friends with many Jews and his statement “I decide who the Jew” was later borrowed by Goering. Luger was an excellent mayor of the city. He did a lot to develop infrastructure and develop charitable institutions in Vienna. It is likely that something cheap housing that Hitler rented was made possible thanks to Luger policy. The writer Stefan Zweig, who lived in Vienna under Luger, characterized his activities: "His management of the city was absolutely fair and even typically democratic." Until now, Luger is revered as one of Vienna's remarkable burgomasteres. In honor of him, one of the Vienna Avenues-Rings was named, the area on which his monument is installed. Luger was buried at the Central Viennese Cemetery in the Karl Luger memorial church erected specially for him. Translated with Google Translate

Alte Stadtmauer Stubentor, Vienna
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman

Here you can see the ancient walls and gates. The history of the gate recites at least three architectural phases. The oldest Stubentor gate was built around 1200. They were a passage and a tower, referred to in the annals as the "Black Tower". Their construction was carried out from 1195 to 1250. This gate, made in the Renaissance style, stood until the first Turkish siege, 1529. After the siege, from 2555 to 1566, a 25-meter-high Castentor tower with a bell tower was built. The city wall withstood the 2nd Turkish siege of 1683 and stood until 1831, when it received a classic facade. Demolition of the walls to today's Coburg Palace lasted from April 9 to September 19, 1862. Excavations in 1985-1987 during the construction of the U3 metro line and the station of the same name uncovered part of the walls of the Black Tower. On March 10, 1528, Balthazar Habmeier was executed in front of this gate. The black plaque on the remains of the wall recalls his death: Dr. Balthazar Hubmeier on 10.3.1528 was burnt before Stubentor as a Baptist. Numerous funeral processions marched through the Stubentor towards the St. Marker Cemetery in the 18th and 19th centuries. At that time it was accepted that the mourners accompanied the hearse to the gate. One of the most famous residents of Vienna finally left the city in the evening hours on December 6, 1791. It was Wolfgang Ammadeus Mozart. The funeral procession, as usual, reached the gate, and behind them in the dark no one accompanied the corpse of the composer. Translated with Google Translate

Don't waste time for planning
Use detailed routes created by your friends and professionals.
Don't be afraid to get lost in new places!
Pinsteps - globe travel application. Travel pictures.
Don't waste time for planning
Open the world with experience of your friends and professionals without any fear.
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience