The first temple on this place was built by Gorgosali the great. The Arabs destroyed the first temple. Then the temple was repeatedly destroyed and restored until it gets a modern look at the end of the 18th century. The Tbilisi Theological Academy is also located here. The bell tower opposite was built in the traditional Russian style after the establishment of the Russian regime in Georgia in 1812.