The commission for the Romantic style rebuilding was given to Lieutenant-General and mining engineer Wilhelm Ludwig von Eschwege. Eschwege, a German amateur architect, was much traveled and likely had knowledge of several castles along the Rhine river. The construction took place between 1842 and 1854, although it was almost completed in 1847: King Ferdinand and Queen Maria II intervened decisively on matters of decoration and symbolism. Among others, the King suggested vault arches, Medieval and Islamic elements be included. The current main entranceway into the Palace lies at the end of a ramp built by Baron von Eschwege on the site of a pre-existing pathway that provided access to the walls of the Manueline convent. Over the course of this rising route, there are a series of garden terraces with flowerbeds and first passing through the Alhambra Gate, itself possibly inspired on the Alhambra Gate of Justice in Granada.