At the end of the nineteenth century, an imperial Palestinophilian society was founded in Russia. It aimed to purchase land in Palestine and develop infrastructure for Russian pilgrims. In 1904, the construction of the Sergius Compound in Nazareth began. Gottlieb Schumacher, a German from the German colony in Haifa, designed the compound. During the revolution of 1905, Prince Sergei Alexandrovich, the founder of the compound and the initiator of the Russian imperial activity in Palestine, was killed. The compound operated before the revolution, and then it was led by the British during their reign in Palestine. There was a hospital, a school, and a hotel for a thousand people in the courtyard. The name Moskubia comes from the Arabic pronunciation of Muscovy, that is, the Russian lands.