Under Ottoman rule, the market expanded spontaneously, and sanitary conditions worsened. In the late 1920s, the British Mandate authorities demolished all temporary buildings and built permanent stalls. From this time on, the market became known as the Mahane Yehuda Market. In 1931, a new section was built west of the market with 20 trading places, instead of the wooden stalls that stood here earlier. It was later called the Iraqi market, as many traders were Jewish immigrants from Iraq. Today it is the central street of the market - Mahane Yehuda Street.