The arched Tiergärtnertor consists of a square tower and a barbican. The origin of the tower, according to some estimates, dates back to the end of the 13th century. It was the main gate to Nuremberg in the northwest. Roads to Erlangen, Bamberg, Thuringia, and Saxony began here. The two upper floors were built in 1516. When the castle's bastion was restored in the mid-16th century, the barbican was demolished; the road to the west was led through a curved tunnel; the original gate was blocked. The German Museum used the Tiergärtnertorturm since 1852 as a warehouse for its first collection.