The War of Independence ended in 1949 while the Kingdom of Jordan concentrated the complete control of the Old City. As a result, the Jewish Quarter ceased to exist. Unusually, for almost 2,000 years of Jerusalem's history, Jews have lost access to the Western Wall. In 1967, after the Six-Day War, Jerusalem returned to its Jewish people, and the entire city became the capital of the State of Israel. In the years between the War of Independence and the Six-Day War, the Jewish Quarter was almost destroyed. The long slow destruction of the abandoned Jewish Quarter helped to conclude to eliminate debris and perform excavations before the reconstruction of the quarter. In general, this was the only opportunity to conduct excavations in a living town. Thus, archaeologists discovered Jerusalem's buildings, walls, and towers from the Second Temple time. We see here in the pit the fortress wall of the town from the days of King Herod. Layers of the later periods lay above it. The base of the pillar belongs to the Roman period, and the water reservoir was hewn later.