Shooting clubs have their historical roots in the cities of the late Middle Ages. The burghers sought to preserve their rights and protect them from the encroachments of the rulers. In 1429, the Union of St. John was founded in Nuremberg. This year, the shooters were separated from the "crossbows." The houses of rifle companies were called shooting ranges. The Nuremberg privileged Hauptschützengesellschaft built such a house in 1462 at Johannisfriedhof.