Tbilisi stretches along the Kura River. Until 1801, the city walls determined the boundaries of Tbilisi. By this time, there were almost no Georgians left in the city. After Persian Shah destroyed Tbilisi in 1795, only Armenians from Avlabar lived here. Avlabar was an Armenian settlement raised in the 13th century on the opposite bank of the river over the impregnable Metech rocks. It was only in the middle of the 20th century that the demographic picture began to change. Beria - minister of interior at the time of Stalin initiated the relocation of ethnic Georgians from the peripheries to Tbilisi. So the population overgrew and reached a million. According to the rules of socialist urban development, the construction of the underground was begun. Today the population of Tbilisi counts million seventy thousands man.