Today the bridge is called the Bridge of Freedom. It was built at the end of the nineteenth century and was called the Customs Bridge, because on the opposite side from Buda, in Pest, there was a customs post. The transportation of goods from wealthy Buda to the popular Pest was taxed. The mast of the bridge is decorated with Turulla birds. This mythical bird comes to Hungarian history from the Ural Mountains - the region from where the Magyars came to the Danube. This bird looks like a falcon and is a symbol of strength and courage.
The Gellert Hotel is a historic hotel in the city. Its construction began in 1912. It is the most beautiful example of Art Nouveau architecture. The hotel is named after St. Gerald Sagredo, the first bishop of Hungary in the eleventh century. During the first and second world wars, the building was badly damaged. The restoration took place in the fifties, when the communists ruled Hungary. It was they who excluded the word "Saint" from the name of the hotel.
St. Gellert's Cave is also associated with the first bishop of Hungary. It is part of numerous cave labyrinths hidden in the rock of Buda. Hot springs create a bath in the cave. Today these springs are known as the Gellert Baths and are located in the hotel of the same name. At the time of Gellert, these waters were famous for their healing features, and helped the saint to convert new proselytes to the Catholic faith. Over the years, a monastery arose in the cave and a small chapel added to it. During the German occupation of Budapest, a military hospital was located here. During the communist era, the monastery was closed, and the monks were imprisoned.
The cross on the Gellert Hill symbolizes the victory of Christianity over the pagans. In 1044 the Magyars revolted against the Christian faith. Gellert was put in a barrel and rolled along the hillsides until it perished in the dark waters of Danuba. But after a few years, Christianity returned with renewed vigor and Hungary became one of the most ardent admirers of Catholicism.
Above this beautiful and, on good days, noisy playground there is an ancient structure. It reminds of the Turkish page in the history of Budapest. Here was the place of veneration of the Gürz Elyas bayiri dervish from the center of Muslims in Albania.
At this observation deck you should make most stunning images of the beautiful panoramic view of Budapest.
The replica of India may surprises the Budapest.
This Statue of Liberty was given to the city by Soviet Union as a symbol of liberation of Hungarian people from Nazi regime.
The Gellért Hill waterfall is located opposite the Elizabeth Bridge. The statue of St. Gellert can be found above the waterfall, which offers the best place for resting and relaxing.
Mace tower is one of the best preserved medieval fortress in Budapest. It was constructed during the 14th century and deadly destroyed at the battle of big Christian alliance against ottoman forces in 17th century. The nearby Ferdinand gate leads to the castle.
The castle of Budapest is a big and recognized architectural complex of world heritage. It was established by Hungarian kings and remained the most significant symbol of Hungarian cultural and political identity over the years. This incredible piece of architectural design worth visiting.
The fore meters tall statue of Virgin Mary symbolizes the glory of the universe. United Hungarian people faces the statue and realize that Jesus just flying in front of his mother. The mystery emphasizes the virginity.
Going down stairs to the embankment of Danube, capture pictures of beautiful moments.
The gallery collection includes artwork of Hungarian artists who worked in Paris and other places in the West at the 19th century.
The equestrian statue of St Stephen stands between Fisher’s Bastion and the church of St Matias. The pedestal is 5.5m tall, and on the four sides of its base the outstanding attributes of St Stephen's reign are visible: the coronation, lawmaking, a church building, homage of Vienna to the King.
Clark Ádám Square was the first unified Neo-Renaissance style square in Budapest. The architectural complex includes Chain Bridge, the Buda People's Theater and the building of Buda National Bank. The latter constructions that were bombed in World War II, were completely demolished in 1949 during the construction of the square. Only the Chain Bridge remains of the original buildings of the square.
An amazing feature is associated with the huge beautiful lions lying at the beginning of the bridge. You can easily see that they have no tongue. Many urban legends have been written about this. The simplest one says that the sculptor simply forgot to make the tongue. But this is the most tragic legend. It says that having discovered a defect, the sculptor jumped into the river from the bridge.
Good by lion with no tongue, let us cross the legendary bridge and discover the secrets of Pesht!