The Gellert Hotel is a historic hotel in the city. Its construction began in 1912. It is the most beautiful example of Art Nouveau architecture. The hotel is named after St. Gerald Sagredo, the first bishop of Hungary in the eleventh century. During the first and second world wars, the building was badly damaged. The restoration took place in the fifties, when the communists ruled Hungary. It was they who excluded the word "Saint" from the name of the hotel.