Our walk around the Bat Galim quarter begins with a small square in the Rambam hospital area. The hospital is named after the famous medieval Jewish physician and philosopher, Rabbi-born Moshe Ben Maimon, born in Spain. It is convenient to leave the car in the underground parking lot and go on foot to, once, the building of the first Carmelite monastery, and now the administrative building of the hospital. It is better to start this journey in the afternoon. Parking is more free - the main influx is in the morning when people come to the hospital for outpatient procedures. The cost of parking will be about 40 NIS depending on the time. Translated with Google Translate
This monastery was founded by three French nuns on earth acquired from local Effendi. In Arabic, this place was called Zauara - here came the pilgrims who arrived to a small bay by sea from Acre. Later in the 30s, the monastery moved to the top of Mount Carmel, and a hospital settled here and later a school for nurses. Was considered a traditional photo of graduates from a palm tree in the central courtyard. Translated with Google Translate
This is the central entrance to the historic building of the monastery. It was built in just 10 years at the end of the 19th century. The central courtyard was equipped with an underground casemate for collecting and storing water. On the second floor cells were located. Special importance was given to rooms for communication and conversations. The inner colonnade was intended for walks and meditations. During the First World War, the Turks deported the nuns of the monastery to France, as subjects of a hostile state. The German expeditionary forces were in the premises for some time, and later the nuns returned to English Palestine. With the development of Haifa as an English port and naval base, the building became of interest to the British, and, by agreement with the monastery, a convent was built on top of the mountain to this day, and the historic building became part of the Rambam complex. Translated with Google Translate
Our fifteen-minute path passed along the fence of the country's largest naval base and naval military school. It is here that the main entrance to this complex is located, and the benches at the corner of the streets with memorial signs are the most common form of preserving memory in the country. In this case, we are talking about the Amster family - a family of hereditary doctors who lost one relative in the Arab pogrom at an English refinery in 1947, when the UN passed a resolution establishing Israel, and the second bench is dedicated to senior sergeant Igal Amster who died during the Six Day War . Both benches are a donation of the family to the Bat Galim district and residents of the city. Translated with Google Translate
Beach Bat Galim. One of the most quiet and "home" beaches of the city. It is equipped with everything necessary, and a convenient location near a small bay and a breakwater make this beach also the most secure. It should be remembered that bathing is allowed only during the work of rescuers. Translated with Google Translate
This is a continuation of the beach only more equipped and equipped side. It is dedicated to the memory of the Israeli naval commandos of Division 13, who died during a combat mission in Lebanon. Translated with Google Translate
Despite its name, this building has never been a casino, moreover, the concrete structure standing here is not a historical building. It all started back in the 20s of the 20th century when creating the Bat Galim quarter. Rosenfeld and Bonstein from Zichron Jacob stood at the origins of the creation of Bat Galim. In the 1930s, the already strong community decided to create something similar to a country club with a restaurant, an Olympic swimming pool, an open dance floor and a banquet hall. Moreover, a similar building with a similar name and goals, in those years, was already splendid on the Tel Aviv embankment. And what is Bat Galim worse? Rosenfeld, by the way, gave his mansion (on the contrary) in exchange for the name of the street by his name, and Bolstein and then his son were a replaceable gene. Director of "Casino" for many years. During English rule, the place flourished. English officers, beautiful girls, dances and concerts made this place a stone of attraction not only for the residents of the quarter but also for the whole city. After the independence of the country was declared, a cinema opened here and enjoyed great success, but over time, like the Telavivskiy Casino, as a result of scandals and litigation between managers and owners, the local went bankrupt and closed. Over time, the building fell into disrepair. There were attempts at restoration for the abolition of the city tax, but the municipality was greedy. Only many years later, wanting to give a second life to this project, the remains of a historic building were demolished and not an exact concrete copy of the complex was built, which became a silent monument rather than a revival of the original idea. Translated with Google Translate
Arieh Leib Samsonov - of the founders of Hadera at the end of the 19th century, raised his son Yitzhak, gave him a prestigious and wage education for those times - a veterinarian and sent him to Haifa in Bat Galim, where for 1921 the architect Barsky built this house. Itzhak Samsonov founded the veterinary association and achieved the inclusion of veterinarians in the association of doctors with the right of autonomous self-government in matters of medicine. And in 1929, the family of Shai Agnon, the Nobel Prize winner in literature, was granted asylum. They fled from Jerusalem, where the Arabs staged a brutal pogrom. Translated with Google Translate
The Quarter of Bat Galim was designed at the beginning of the 20th century by architect Richard Kaufman in the spirit of the European concept City - Garden. This concept was formulated by the utopian philosopher Howard Ibenezra in London at the end of the 19th century. Kaufman - a Jew born in Frankfurt, left a huge mark on the architecture of Israel, primarily by his commitment to the ideas of the City of Garden, which were reflected not only in the neighborhoods of Haifa and its suburbs, but also in more than six hundred agricultural settlements. The most vivid example of such a settlement, which almost certainly embodies Howard’s idea of a centric settlement, is Mosh Naalal, in which Moshe Dayan was born and raised. In the Bat Galim quarter, Kaufman designed not only the streets and the location of houses, but also Bat Galim Avenue on which we are located.
The building at the corner of Bat Galim Avenue and Jonathan Street was built as a private home for the Cohen family in 1937. Its two sides are closed at an angle of almost 60 degrees, one side is two-story and the other is three-story. Translated with Google Translate
Restaurant Abu Zayed is the most famous and revered fish restaurant in Bat Galim. They write about him in newspapers and culinary magazines, which is a pride for the owners and adorns the walls lovingly in frames. Abu Zayed - the owner is always there and he has been managing the affairs for many years. This restaurant is very reminiscent of a Mediterranean unhurried Greek or Italian island restaurant. A variety of different salads, which are quickly thrown at the table nimble waiters are an integral prelude to the main dish - servings of fish or seafood. The simple atmosphere, friendly hosts and always fresh products made this restaurant the perfect decoration for any walk in the quiet Haif district of Bat Galim.
Translated with Google Translate