A romantic evening in the Latin quarter will begin from the bridge near the Notre Dame de Paris, through the fountain of Saint Michael, the University of Sorbonne, the pantheon, the house where Hemingway lived and will end with dinner in one of the most romantic schoolyards
On this square grows the oldest planted tree in Paris. Robinia pseudoacacia, popularly known as the locust tree, was planted by Jean Robin in 1601. The tree was severely damaged during the First World War, but it proves its vitality by flowering every year. Robinia is recognized as the oldest tree in Paris.
In the central part of the garden is a fountain by Georges Jenclos, whose real name is Georges Jankelovich. He was born in 1933 in Paris into a Jewish family. His work is strongly permeated with the theme of the Holocaust and, in particular, the whole burden of human suffering. As soon as you see this fountain, you cannot forget it. The words that can describe it are tenderness, silence, and grief.
Shakespeare and Company are the names of two independent bookstores in Paris. Sylvia Beach opened the store on November 19, 1919, on Dupuytren Street, and then, in 1922, moved to a more spacious building on Odeon Street. Ezra Pound, Ernest Hemingway, James Joyce, and Ford Madox Ford were met in it. The store was the center of Anglo-American culture and modernism in Paris. Ernest Hemingway, Francis Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, spent a lot of time there. Hemingway mentions the store and its visitors in the novel “A Holiday That Is Always With You.” Since Sylvia Beach refused to sell Joyce’s latest “Finnegans Wake” book to a German officer, the Shakespeare and Company store closed on June 14, 1940. At the end of the war, Hemingway “personally freed” the store from the german occupants, but the store has never reopened. After the death of Sylvia in 1964, Whitman, who was the owner of a bookstore near San Michel Square, renamed his store to Shakespeare and Company in honor of the historic store. The store has 13 beds; according to Whitman, 40,000 people have stayed there overnight since its opening. George Whitman died on December 14, 2011, at the age of 98. Whitman’s daughter Sylvia Beach Whitman manages the store today. On Sundays, the store regularly hosts tea parties, where poetry readings and meetings with authors happens. Shakespeare and Company stores in New York have no affiliation to the famous Paris namesake.
Cafe Georges is a bar in the Saint-Michel area. The atmosphere of Georges Café is a unique concept: the housewives are masked, the lights dim, and the cocktails are refined. In a happy hour, you will pay only 6 euros for a cocktail and 5 euros for a pint of beer.
The Saint-Michel square was rebuilt during the renovation of Paris by Baron Osman. The area was to be in harmony with the new wider bridge of Pont-Saint-Michel. Indeed, from this square, you can see some of the monuments of Ile-de-la-Cité, including Saint-Chapelle and the Palace of Justice. The fountain of Saint-Michel (fountain of St. Michael) decorates the square. It was designed by Gabriel David in 1855. The original central fountain statue was dedicated to Napoleon Bonaparte, but this concept has been criticized by opponents of Napoleon III. After much debate, it was decided to place a statue of St. Michael, the Archangel (St. Michel in French), with two dragons pouring water into the fountain.
Born in Brittany, Maison Georges Larnicol remains faithful to its origin. All of its products are manufactured in Melgwen in Finister. George's father was a pastry chef, and his mother opened a shop where she sold sweets. George studied mathematics and architecture but interrupted his studies to establish his business with his wife Yolanda. They started by buying a truck with french fries, then opened a gallery to sell paintings and, finally, a patisserie. Georges received the title of Meilleur Ouvrier de France Pâtissier in 1993 after many hours of work thanks to his creativity фтв artistic sensitivity. The real growth of Maison came when the idea of a self-service chocolate and cookie factory came to mind in 1999. Since then, the sweet madness of Larnicola spread across Brittany and reached the heart of Paris. Here you will find enthusiasts of Breton dishes, delicate macaroons, and other cocoa sweets.
The Chapel of St. Ursula of the Sorbonne, or simply the Chapel of the Sorbonne, is the first domed church in France. In 1626, Cardinal Richelieu commissioned Jacques Lemercier to build a new chapel on the site of Calvi College. At the request of the cardinal, the future Cardinal mausoleum was also included in the chapel. In the year of the death of Richelieu in 1642, his funeral took place against the backdrop of construction work.
At this place was the town hall during the French Revolution. EU citizens can study at Sorbonne University for free. There are no introductory exams if the student does not succeed he is expelled.
In the event of his recovery from a serious illness, King Louis XV vowed to build a new church in the abbey of Saint Genevieve. The foundation of the Pantheon was laid in 1758, and construction was completed by a student of Sufflo in 1789. By the time the temple was completed, the king was overthrown, and the revolutionary government ordered the church to be turned into a mausoleum for the Great People of France. Among the others, the graves of Voltaire, Hugo, Emile Zola can be found in the Pantheon.
Parisians greatly respect the Church of St. Genevieve. The church preserves the relics of St. Genevieve - the patroness of Paris. Clovis, the first of the kings to adopt the Christian faith, his wife and daughter are buried in the church. Casket with the relics of St. Genevieve's in 1242 was placed under the main altar, it was made of pure silver and covered with gold. The dungeon with arched vaults which was used by Parisians to gather for prayer, during the time of the persecution of Christians, is also situated in the church.
Normans robbed and burned the Abbey and the Church of St. Genevieve's several times - in 846, 884 and 892. The Parisians each time restored the temple, and completely renovated it in the XIII-XIV centuries. Cardinal Laroshfuko decorated the church with marble. Since 1229, there is a tradition to carry a casket with the relics of St. Genevieve during the epidemics of illness and natural disasters through the streets of the city.
Place de la Contrescarpe is located in the center of the four administrative districts and is connected by its name to the neighborhood of the old street of Contrescarp-Saint-Marcel, which was a municipal road in 1852. There are plenty of small and tasty bars and restaurants here, that are visited mostly by students of Sorbonne. The atmosphere is pleasant and welcomes to take a sit and taste a glass of wine.