Places to visit in Vienna, Maria Enzersdorf, Gaaden, Heiligenkreuz, Baden bei Wien

My trip in Vienna, Heiligenkreuz, Baden bei Wien of Sep 26, 2018


Description: Sunny day, cool air and warm shadows of the Vienna Forest, Mount Leopold and the blue Danube. The medieval castle of Lichtenstein and the monastery of the Holy Cross with lunch in a monastic restaurant. That was the path from Vienna to Baden - to the thermal springs. It was wonderful adventure! Translated with Google Translate
Distance
95.98 km
Duration
6h 15 m
Likes
--
Places
33
1
Leopoldsberg
Leopoldsberg
Leopoldsberg is the most famous hill of Vienna, towering over the Danube and the city. There are many hiking trails. This even goes the city bus route. We chose the shortest and easiest route around the Church of St. Leopold. The most convenient simple and beautiful way to the Vienna Woods. Translated with Google Translate
2
Denkmal für Ukrainische Kosaken
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
A big surprise was the monument to the Ukrainian Cossacks, who fought as part of the combined forces against the Turks during the second Turkish siege of Vienna in 1683. It involuntarily thought that people can unite not in the name, but against. And the Turks managed to turn everyone against themselves. So there appeared strange unions: Hungarians, Poles, Austrians, Cossacks ... Hence the conclusion - never “play against all” Translated with Google Translate
3
Heiliger Leopold auf dem Leopoldsberg
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Mount Leopoldberg is considered to be the northeast "echo" of the Alpine mountain range. Unlike most mountains of the flysch formation (this is when a rock is created at the bottom of the ancient ocean at a depth of about 2 thousand meters, mainly from fragments of other rocks), Leopoldsberg has steep slopes due to the erosion force of the Danube River on one side with another. This relief creates differences in local climate and vegetation, which create the boundary between the Pannonic and Central European climate. The northern slope of the mountain is covered with beech forests - the most common trees of the Vienna Woods. Winerwald From here there is a beautiful view of Vienna and the Danube. Translated with Google Translate
4
Brunnen am leopoldsberg
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The most famous attraction of Leopoldberg is the church, which is clearly visible from different points of the forest and from Vienna itself. The construction of the church of Leopoldsberg dedicated to Saint Leopold began in 1679 and was associated with the times of the reign of Leopold from the Hapsburg dynasty. In its time, the central street of Vienna was reorganized and two fountains and the Plague Column appeared on it. And we'll talk about the most holy Leopold. Translated with Google Translate
5
Leopoldsberg
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
On the eastern slopes of the mountain, archaeologists discovered stone age settlements. Later, Celtic settlements appeared here, and then the original Roman settlement of Vindobona was founded on Leopoldsberg. It was part of Noricum, but the emperor Augustus (and later his commander and future emperor Tiberius) incorporated him into Pannonia, which became the official province in the second half of the reign of Emperor Claudius (41-54 BC). For centuries, the mountain, especially its southern slope, was an important agricultural area and was used for the cultivation of vineyards and as pasture. For this reason, Leopoldberg is often called the “Bald Hill”. But in 1693, when the construction of the renovated church was completed, except as Lepoldsberg, this mountain was no longer referred to. Translated with Google Translate
6
Burg am Leopoldsberg
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
From here there is a beautiful view of the upper course of the Danube and the city of Clostrnburg. It shows the bell tower of an ancient monastery associated with the legend of Holy Leopold. Leopold of the Babenberg family marries a beautiful German princess and during the wedding she belies she took her veil. Through the years, while hunting, Leopold discovered a veil in the forest and at this place laid a monastery and a new city. A new city was built at the ford across the Danube. Then the river spread, and after the next flood, it no longer returned to its former course, and the city was divided into two. The one that is closer to the monastery began to be called the Monastic New City (Klosterburg) and the one that is closer to the market square - Korneburg. To this day, between the two parts of the city runs the ferry, and on the Danube built locks, which are visible from the top of the mountain. Saint Leopold built quite a few monasteries, one of which is the monastery of the Holy Cross - which we will see today. It is said that he personally brought pieces of the holy cross from the crusade. And he became saint later, after he laid the foundations of the Austrian state and became the patron of Vienna and directly of Leopold of Habsburg and his sons. Translated with Google Translate
7
Castle liechtenstein
Castle liechtenstein
On the southern tip of the Vienna Woods, stands from 1127 the famous Lichtenstein Castle - Light Stone. Translated with Google Translate
8
Castle liechtenstein
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Next to the historic castle is a beautiful manor house, which in 1820, was rebuilt as a summer residence of the Liechtenstein family. It occupied the territory of a historic residence that existed since 1596, destroyed in 1683 and rebuilt in 1686. In the XIX century, the complex turned into a multi-palace. His pediment was designed in the image of the castle Weilburg in Baden. The estate was severely damaged during the Soviet occupation after World War II and during its subsequent use as a camp for Hungarian refugees in 1956. After the manor was sold to the prince’s house of Liechtenstein, in 1961 the eastern side wing and the outbuildings were demolished, and in 1977/89 the rest of the castle, with the exception of the central building, was reequipped as a permanent residence for the elderly. Today, in the summer months, there are theater festivals named after Nestroy, an Austrian playwright, comedian, comedian and singer. Translated with Google Translate
9
Castle liechtenstein
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The history of the castle, as well as the kind of Lichtenstein, dates back to one Hugo von Petronella. Hugo was a ruler in the town of Petronell, which began its history as a Roman military camp and the civil settlement of Carnuntum in the Roman province of Pannonia. During the 5th century, this place was abandoned by its Roman inhabitants and the next mention of it already called Petronelle appears in the second half of the 11th century, when a settlement reappeared here, which was granted trade rights in 1142. This makes Petronell one of the oldest trading cities in Lower Austria. Translated with Google Translate
10
Castle liechtenstein
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Lichtenstein Castle was built around 1130 by Hugo von Petronella, and was part of a defense system along the so-called spa line. Spa line is a geological term. It runs along the geological fault zone, which marks the boundary between the southern part of the Vienna Basin in the east and the foothills of the Eastern Alps (including Wienerwald - Vienna Woods) in the west. This name comes from the abundance of thermal springs along the fault. After the castle was completed, Hugo von Petronell called himself one of the Liechtenstein descendants of White Mountain or White Stone. Thus, he is considered the progenitor of the princely house of Liechtenstein. Translated with Google Translate
11
Castle liechtenstein
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Since that time, a Romanesque-style chapel has been preserved, and some (rather heavily rebuilt) walls of the lower level. The patron saint of the castle, as well as the ancient chapel, as well as the entire Mödling region, is the holy Pankraty, a Roman martyr who perished for the Christian faith during the reign of Emperor Diocletian. His relics were brought to England with the baptism of the Britts, and in London one of the stations was named after him). The castle was expanded several times in the XIII and XV centuries. The material for its construction came from the ancient Roman quarries of St. Margaret in Burgenland (a few dozen kilometers to the east near the border with Slovakia and Hungary). Light light stones, typical of this quarry, probably gave the name of the castle. In the 13th century, the Lichtenstein clan lost the castle, and it came into the possession of the Wolzier family of Swabia, the Habsburgs close to the court. Translated with Google Translate
12
Castle liechtenstein
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The medieval history of the castle is full of twists and turns. Until 1350, it was owned by the Vollises. In 1367 Ulrich. In 1384 the Lords of Stadek. In 1477, the castle passed to Matthew Corvin I - the king of Hungary from the Transylvanian clan Hunyadi. Other owners were King Maximilian I and the Prušenk brothers, who gave the castle in 1502 as a feud to Bartholomew Freisleben, a brave assistant who needed a noble title and possession. During the first Turkish siege in 1529, the castle was destroyed, and already the son of the latter-day feudal lord Christoph Freisleben was captured in Turkish. In order to restore the castle, his grandson George Freisleben again had to confirm the feudal dependence. Translated with Google Translate
13
Castle liechtenstein
Here are the ticket office and a small shop. Guided tours of the castle only with a local guide. Then, when the group is going. The guide speaks several languages. She runs through the rooms, opens and closes the door. Taking photos in the castle is prohibited. Finally, the castle was finally destroyed during the Second Turkish Siege in the summer of 1683. In 1684, the Waffenberg family acquired its ruins. In 1777, Josef von Penkler - an Austrian politician and statesman bought the castle, and in 1799 he was sold to Stanislav Fürst von Ponyatovski. Finally, in 1808, the castle was bought by Prince Johann I. von zu Liechtenstein, and with it began the revival of the castle of Liechtenstein. Translated with Google Translate
14
Castle liechtenstein
A tour of the castle begins from an open courtyard, which is part of the sub-castle settlement and commercial territory. This part of the castle is younger. The older part is a tall tower and a small protruding balcony. Translated with Google Translate
15
Castle liechtenstein
Castle liechtenstein
The castle returned to its original owners - the family of Liechtenstein only in the XX century. This is the time of Prince Hans-Adam II. He was born on February 14, 1945 in Zurich and is the prince and head of state of Liechtenstein, as well as the head of the princely house of Liechtenstein. Government affairs, however, since 2004, led by his son Alois. Translated with Google Translate
16
Castle liechtenstein
Castle liechtenstein
Armor is stored in the castle and there is an armory. But they are not historical. Translated with Google Translate
17
Castle liechtenstein
Castle liechtenstein
Stairs leading to the second floor and a balcony. Translated with Google Translate
18
Castle liechtenstein
Castle liechtenstein
Balcony of the chambers, overlooking the surrounding mountains, fields and vineyards. On the opposite mountain there is a monument to the Russian hussars. The guide said this with a special "smacking". This is a monument to those times when all together fought with the Turks. Translated with Google Translate
19
Castle liechtenstein
Castle liechtenstein
From this balcony you can see Vienna. In the city itself is also the property of Liechtenstein. These are several palaces. There are also palaces and castles of Liechtenstein in the Czech Republic and Slovenia. Translated with Google Translate
20
Castle liechtenstein
Castle liechtenstein
Here, near the eastern tower, is a chapel, accessible from the north balcony. It was built during the restoration phase between 1883-1903 over the real sacristy. Here today is the bell tower of the chapel, which rings every day. The bell was presented to the castle by the nearby town of Maria Enzersdorfer in 1983. Translated with Google Translate
21
Lichtenstein Castle
Lichtenstein Castle
In the north tower there are images of a lamb and a lizard on the corner stones, and in the stones themselves there are fragments of fossils - historical shells. The guide paid attention to these fossils and spoke about them with even more aspiration than about the monument to the hussars on the opposite mountain. Translated with Google Translate
22
Waldmeierei liechtenstein
Place of parking. Just a small space, apparently, in order to turn around, but cars were left here and we were sobering. Translated with Google Translate
23
Sonnen-Reflexions-Uhr
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The village of Siegenfeld, probably originated in about 1040. In 1133, the Babenberg margrave of Leopold III founded the Heiligenkreuz monastery. For centuries, a small settlement grew outside the walls of the monastery, and was registered as a municipality in 1849. The monastery and the abbey are separated from the town by the baroque gates, in front of which is the motto "Epiphanie", designed by French artist Philippe Lejeune. It consists of a mosaic work (8 × 3.5 m) on a cylindrical wall and a 7-meter three-sided pyramid made of steel and called “Gnomon”. The monument was funded by the Werein Modern Sacralbau, a private Austrian foundation that promotes the ideas of modern art in Christian churches. Initially, there was only a mosaic picture of “Epiphany”, showing in the center Holy Mary with baby Jesus. “Epiphany” means “the appearance of Jesus”; This event is celebrated in Roman Catholic churches on January 6th. With the help of a steel mirror pyramid (Gnomon) installed later, every year on January 6, a ray of sunlight should touch the baby Jesus depicted on the mosaic panel. Translated with Google Translate
24
Heiligenkreuz b.Baden Stift / Badner Tor
Heiligenkreuz b.Baden Stift / Badner Tor
The monastery was founded in 1133 of sv. Leopold III. from the Babenbergger dynasty and was upset by his son and successor Leopold IV of Austria. This is one of the 300 monasteries that is associated with the life of St. Bernard of Clairvo from Burgundy. Maternal monastery - Morimond in Burgund. Translated with Google Translate
25
Philosophy and Theology. College Benedict XVI. Heiligenkreuz
Philosophy and Theology. College Benedict XVI. Heiligenkreuz
Since 1802, the Heiligenkreizen Abbey has an officially recognized training center for priests. In 1975, the Opus Summi Sacerdotis training center, based in the diocese of Regensburg, was moved from Schwaz in Tirol to Heiligenkreuz. Translated with Google Translate
26
Studienbibliothek Heiligenkreuz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The Philosophical Theological University of Pope Benedict XVI in Hochschule Heiligenkreuz, is a private, Catholic university. Pope Benedict XVI called it a sacred university after his visit in 2007. As of 2016, 295 students studied at the university. Among them, 43 Cistercian, 40 from other religious institutions and 75 diocesan seminarians. It is the only university governed by the Cistercian Order and the only theological college in Austria, as well as the largest educational institution for priests and religious representatives in the German-speaking world. Translated with Google Translate
27
Klostergasthof des Stiftes Heiligenkreuz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
There is a restaurant at the monastery and Cistercian monks work there. Monastery wines are produced here and can be purchased at the monastery. One of the traditional dishes is the soup with meat strudel. Well, the schnitzel here just melts in your mouth. The Cistercians appeared in the 11th century and are a Catholic religious order of monks and nuns who separated from the Benedictines. They are also called Bernardine by the name of St. Bernard of Clairvaux - he was talked about at the gates of the abbey. However, this term is also used in the order of Franciscans in Poland and Lithuania. Therefore, it is accepted to call Cistercians white monks, the color of their cassocks, in contrast to the black, which were Benedictine monks. Translated with Google Translate
28
Cistercian Abbey Stift Heiligenkreuz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
On the shortest north side of the monastery courtyard is a large arched entrance portal, above which rises a five-story tower with a luxurious baroque facade. The outer corners of the monastery are equipped with round towers, some of which begin only on the top floor and end with the tops of the onion-shaped baroque roofs. They resemble semicircular wall bastions in serf architecture. The central courtyard is enclosed by arcades with cross arches, creating a ceiling on the lower and upper floors. Translated with Google Translate
29
Cistercian Abbey Stift Heiligenkreuz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Immediately beyond the entrance extends a large polygonal Stifshof. This courtyard is surrounded by more modern baroque two-story monastic buildings that were opened in the late 17th century. One of the galleries is called Grave Entrance. On its wall are slabs with the names of benefactors who in the Middle Ages donated land to the monastery, vineyards or other gifts and thereby supported the existence of monks. These patrons were buried in the monastery in gratitude. Translated with Google Translate
30
Cistercian Abbey Stift Heiligenkreuz
Cistercian Abbey Stift Heiligenkreuz
In 1730, the rebuilding of the monastery gates was completed, and at the same time, the Holy Trinity Column (a replica of the Plague Column in Vienna) was erected in the courtyard and the Josephsbrunnen Fountain was built next to it. Translated with Google Translate
31
Cistercian Abbey Stift Heiligenkreuz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The central neff is the oldest part of the church. The church fills the old organ with music. It was built in 1804 by Ignaz Kober and has 2,959 pipes. It was played by famous composers such as Franz Schubert and Anton Bruckner. This is the first major romantic organ in Austria. Next to the church in the inner part of the monastery is the master's chamber. It was a meeting room of monks, in which at each meeting, at least initially, the head of the scriptures was read. For the monks who had the right to attend these meetings, the name “Capitulum” was used. As in almost all such monasteries, the entrance to the master's chamber opens from the eastern gallery of the monastery through two windows and a door that cannot be closed, and three steps lead to it. The hall also serves as the burial place of the princely patrons of the monastery of the Babenberg family. Here is the last buried Babenberger, who ruled Austria. Translated with Google Translate
32
Kreuzkirche - Stift Heiligenkreuz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Here, in addition to the cemetery and the monument to the monks - soldiers who fell in the first and second world wars, is the modern Kreuzkirche (Church of the Cross), which is connected to the north side of the transept with the monastery bell tower. It was built in 1982 and contains a precious relic - pieces of the Holy Cross - from which comes the name of the monastery. It is believed that St. Leopold himself brought it from the crusade. Translated with Google Translate
33
Thermenhotel Gutenbrunn
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
This wonderful hotel is located in an old house, which has always been a hotel near the mineral springs of Baden. Franz Josef and Friedrich van Beethoven stayed here. We caught a corner room on the top floor, and the lovely woman at the reception desk apologized profusely that this was the last room we could be given. Apparently, we had to live in the attic under the roof, but in fact everything exceeded our expectations. If you book this hotel, ask for a corner room on the top floor. Translated with Google Translate
Don't waste time for planning
Use detailed routes created by your friends and professionals.
Don't be afraid to get lost in new places!
Pinsteps - globe travel application. Travel pictures.
Don't waste time for planning
Open the world with experience of your friends and professionals without any fear.
Share
Send
Send