Places to visit in Salzburg

My trip in Salzburg of Sep 28, 2018


Description: It was wonderful adventure! Translated with Google Translate
Distance
11.66 km
Duration
7h 38 m
Likes
1
Places
64
1
2
CONTI PARK Parking Petersbrunnhof
3
Kajetanerkirche
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
This is the church of the Gaetansky monastery, founded in 1150 as an outpost of the monastery and the church of St. Peter - the source of spiritual power of Salzburg. The Church of St. Peter was founded at the foot of the monastic mountain, to which we still have to climb. Together with the church founded by Rupert, St. Peter’s Monastery was created. The history of Salzburg begins with it. Our history will be about the mountain, the monastery, the connection of Odoakra and the monastery, the history of Saint Rupert and the knights, the rulers, the church and the people. But not all. At the foot of the mountain is located one of the most beautiful and well-preserved baroque cities in Europe. He lived in Mozart and his music was woven from the species and filled with the spirit of this beautiful place. Translated with Google Translate
4
Small convenient supermarket. You can get necessary for a walk for the whole day. Bought water. Translated with Google Translate
5
Herrengasse
Herrengasse
Here begins the street Herrengasse, which was also previously called Pfaffengasse or popularly Hundsgasse. The current name or name of Pfaffengasse stems from the fact that for more than eight centuries the clergy of the clergy nobility of the city settled here, the so-called Pfaffen of Gerra, or office lords. But the name Hundsgasse is very interesting. And we will learn about it a bit later. Translated with Google Translate
6
Hundsgasse probably belongs to the so-called “Nonnberger dog”, a Roman stone sculpture that marks the border of the female Nonnberg monastery and actually represents a lion. Probably, the term “dog” is derogatory to this part of the street, since it was in the house at Hundsgasse 18, since 1360 there has been a hangman’s house. Translated with Google Translate
7
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Today this house is a White Cross hotel. Previously, priests and abbot clerics lived here for a long time, until in 1685 the house was sold to the owner of a beer tavern. Almost a hundred years later, in 1775, the house first mentioned the name of the house Bierjodlhaus. The name probably comes from the host Matthias Grill, whose nickname was “Yodel”. By tradition, at that time it was a common bulls name. This is another evidence of the relationship of arrogant church nobility and ordinary citizens. Translated with Google Translate
8
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The funicular closes one hour before the closure of the fortress. Opening hours in the information below. The ticket includes a lift on a cable car, an audio guide and visits to various museums and even massages, at the top of the fortress. In the list of museums are the medieval Princely Chambers and the Serf Museum with historical exhibits from the court life of the archbishop princes. The Puppet Museum and the Memorial Museum of the Archduke Rainer City Regiment. The rise to the observation platform of the old fortress. All these places can be visited and rising on foot. Further in the price list follow simplified options, only the ascent on the cable car or only the ascent and descent on the cable car does not exist. We chose only the funicular lift, although several museums are included in the simple version of the ticket. The museums of the fortress are quite interesting, but they do not seem unique enough to me to spend the time of just one day in Salzburg. Translated with Google Translate
9
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Now there is a puppet museum. There is an exposition that tells about the whole play of puppets based on the famous musical “The Sound of Music”. Historically, this place of the castle was intended for one of the world's first cableways to deliver goods and goods to the top of the fortress. It begins its history in 1515 and was a rope for dragging a trolley on rails. This is one of the oldest examples of rail transport in Europe. The first rails were wooden, as were the wheels, and the traction was manual. The funicular completely uses the direction of this road and it appeared in 1892. Translated with Google Translate
10
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
We have a beautiful view of Salzburg and the Salzach River. The Salzach is the largest tributary of the Inn River. They create the oldest system of roads in the northern Alps. The way Verona, Trento, Bolzano, Innsbruck was the most important trading route of ancient Rome. In 45 BC in the period of the greatest expansion, when such people as Pompey, Anthony, Octavian Augustus, Guy Julius Caesar lived at the same time, the Roman troops conquered the Celtic graying and founded Yuvavum. It will take almost 5 centuries, and the lazy empire, relying on its barbarians mercenaries, one day will find that there is no longer any need for it and the local gangster Odoacer will overthrow the last Roman emperor Romulus Augustus. This year 476 will be considered the year of the fall of the Western Roman Empire. It is only necessary to note two points in this loud historical event. The first is that the barbarian Odoacer was so dependent on Rome in his subconscious that he did not dare kill the Emperor, and, even proclaiming himself king, appointed Romulus Auguste to retire and ensure a decent old age. And the second point is that, lounging, the greatest of all empires of the world, still managed to vaccinate Christianity with the barbarians. Thanks to which the whole further history of Yuvavum will develop, right up to renaming it to Salzburg. Translated with Google Translate
11
Fortress hohensalzburg
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The construction of the castle was dictated by the need to create a safe haven for the monks of Nonningen Abbey, who formed the basis of the Salzburg settlement. Gebhard the First took over this issue - he became the Archbishop of Salzburg in 1060. He was educated in Paris, was the ambassador of King Henry III in Byzantium, and spread the boundaries of the influence of the Holy Roman Empire to the east in Corantia (Slovenia). But he was not the first to follow the famous German Drang nach Osten. By and large, Salzburg itself is such an outpost. Translated with Google Translate
12
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Still, Saint Rupert of Worms, in 650, came to the Roman colony of Yuvavum, founded a monastery at the foot of the mountain, where, according to legend, the early Christian martyr Maxim and his disciples perished. It was Rupert who discovered in the caves of the mountain salt deposits, which formed the basis of the economy of the monastery, and the place was given the name Salzburg - the city of salt. His disciples and followers carried the faith further east and among them Virgil Irish - the educator of the Croats. So, the barbarian Odoacer completed the history of the Roman Empire. He deposed the emperor, and in the cave under the castle at the foot of the mountain of monks, he killed the martyr Maxim and his disciples. After almost three hundred years, the Christian faith will rise in this place, and through it the Holy Roman Empire thanks to the preacher Rupert, who founded Salzburg, and even three hundred years later, a fortress will arise here, which is destined to become a stronghold of Catholicism for the next eight centuries. Translated with Google Translate
13
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The strength and authority of the church rulers of Salzburg over the years only grew stronger. German kings bestowed upon them noble titles, the popes enlisted their support and influence. In 1515, the ruler of the castle Mateusz Lang, the son of a wealthy burgher from Augsburg, built the famous wooden funicular, and ten years later, in 1525, the castle withstood a 61-day siege during the great peasant uprising. Mateusz received the title of Wellenburg, thanks to the transfer to his estate of the town of Wellenburg not far from Augsburg. He became a close adviser to the German King Frederick the Third, the son and heir of the famous Maximilian I, the crown of the Holy Roman Empire, never crowned by the Pope. The castle itself owes its modern appearance to the Lang. Translated with Google Translate
14
RainerMuseum in the castle tells its story from creation from the 11th to the 19th century. After the glorious history of the castle in the days of Lang, he was surrendered to Napoleon without a fight. In the 19th century, the barracks settled here, and after the First World War Italian prisoners of war were placed, and the “political” - German Nazis (before the Anschluss of Austria) were stationed. Translated with Google Translate
15
St georgs kirche
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The church at Hohensalzburg is dedicated to St. George and was built between 1501 and 1502 by order of Archbishop Leonard von Koytschach, the predecessor of Lang. During the reign of Leonard, the Kuchelturm tower, bakery and Ross gate (Reissturm) were built in the castle. Leoard was also able to stop the destructive for Salzburg process of arbitrariness, relegated to local burghers regarding the election of the mayor and council. This right was given to the city during the time of the plague, when nobody was in business before Salzburg. Leonard invited the burghers to lunch at the castle, arrested them and freed them after giving up this right. Since 1515, the times of Lang, on the monument near the church is the blessing of Leonard von Koytshah and two deacons (with a cross and a hat). The inscription reads: “Here, Archbishop Leonard Sue Salzburg von Koich blesses on the lands of the Salkburg gorges”. Thus begins the canonization and historization of Salzburg and the Salzburg churches. Translated with Google Translate
16
Fortress hohensalzburg
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
From here there is a beautiful view of the city. At the foot of the hill are several monasteries, among them is the convent abbey Nonnberg (Mount Nuns). Its foundation is attributed to Rupert’s sister, Erentrude. It was thanks to one of the nuns of the monastery, Maria Augustus Kucera, who later married captain von Trapp, that the monastery gained international fame. The fact is that according to the book of Mary, the famous film “The Sound of Music” was shot. And on the opposite bank of the Salzach there is the mountain of the Capuchins and the corresponding monastery. And if you look further east - the missionaries of Salzburg turned their eyes there. Among them is the famous Huniald the Irish. Like Virgil - the successor of Rupert, he converted to Christianity a whole Jewish town Judenburg (not far from Graz). The church of this city still keeps inscriptions on its stones, carved in Hebrew. Indeed, before becoming a church, it was a synagogue. And the city’s coat of arms depicts a Jew. The anti-Podzdny coast became the city center already at the time of the dawn of the Habsburg empire and Salzburg firmly established itself on the “that” coast in the 17th century. On the other side, our campaign will end. Translated with Google Translate
17
South Gate
South Gate
We leave the castle through the south gate. They border on the female Nonnenberg monastery. From now on, the history of the city and its features are already clear to us and it remains only to plunge into the stories of streets, people and magical nooks. All by itself will go to the whole picture, where the images will be recognizable, and the stories are predictable. Translated with Google Translate
18
Oskar kokoshka
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
As if the reminder that we are in Austria and she is the heir to the Austro-Hungarian empire - the one that the German medieval birth created in cooperation with the Hungarian princes and the Catholic Church with such fervor and whip and stick was named Oscar Kokoschka . This is a Czech impressionist painter contemporary of Gustave Klimt. They loved one woman - Alma, whose story I told in detail in the tour of the Vienna City Park. Translated with Google Translate
19
Remember, German knights, abbots, preachers of Catholicism and their way east to the Slavs? Here are the consequences in a broad historical perspective. The name of this street, as it transfers us from the medieval Salzburg to Salzburg, the Baroque era and the new time. Translated with Google Translate
20
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
On the way to the castle on the cliff image of the Holy Crucifixion and St. George. They are understandable and clear in the context of Salzburg. Crucifixion is not only the strengthening of the Christian faith in the barbarian lands during the time of Rupert. This is also the symbol of the martyrdom of the very first Christians - the time of Maxim and the disciples. And George the Victorious is the most important symbol of victory over paganism in Christianity. By the way, remember the church named after Leonard and Lang is named after the castle hill - yes, George the Victorious is also named after him. Salzburg won. Translated with Google Translate
21
Nonnberger hund
Nonnberger hund
And this is the same famous "Roman dog". Remember? Way to the top of the mountain? It shares the name between Nonenberg and the High Castle. Translated with Google Translate
22
Do not deny yourself the pleasure of a historic photo. You can hardly find here the symbolism of that time, from which we just came, but when you were dressed in Baroque outfits, you would completely reincarnate in order to get ready to explore the Baroque city, because today's Salzburg is a Baroque monument. Translated with Google Translate
23
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
On the territory of the cemetery near the church of St. Peter - the beginning of the history of Salzburg, was in the days of Leonard von Koytshah the chapel of St. Margaret was built. This is one of the few Gothic buildings in Salzburg. It stands on the site of the ancient chapel of St. Amand. Amand, just as Rupert was a missionary, only if Rupert came here from Worms, then Amand came to Flanders from Aquitaine (Gascony). So did the missionaries in Europe. It was for this church that Mozart wrote his mass in B-minor. It is performed in the church every year at a concert of church music. Translated with Google Translate
24
Kreuzkapelle
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The chapel of the holy cross adjoins close to the rock. Here is the entrance to the catacombs and caves, in which, according to legend, Maxim and his disciples perished at the hands of the sinister Odokart. It was here that Rupert came and founded the monastery. It is not difficult to understand why the church founded by Rupert is dedicated to St. Peter. After all, the history of Peter and the history of the cliff in Christian theology has a sacred power, dating back to the times of the Gospel. Translated with Google Translate
25
Stiftskirche Sankt Peter Salzburg
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Directly, the church of St. Peter. Here are kept the relics of St. Rupert. He is usually depicted with a bag over his shoulders or with a box in his hands. This is the meaning of the salt that Rupert discovered in the caves, and which became a source of income for the monastery and the whole city. In addition, the church is a marble slab, preserved in the catacombs of the "monastic Mountain". Yes, this is when the city of Yuvavum in the Roman province of Norik. The plate contains the text in Latin: “The Year of God 477 Odoaker, King of the Ruthenians (Latin Odoacer Rex Rhutenorum), as well as Gepids, ready, Ungar and Heruli, speaking against the Church of God. The pious Maxim with his 50 disciples who prayed with him in this cave, for confessing his faith, was cruelly tortured and thrown down, and the province of Norikum was devastated with a sword and fire. ” Translated with Google Translate
26
And this is a memorial plaque to Johann Haydn, brother of the famous composer, who was also a composer. It reminds, as it were, that the development of art in Europe in the Baroque era and after it gave a second wind of European thought to the spirit and values, like the Christian revival in the second missionary era. Translated with Google Translate
27
This is the chapel of Duke Leopold the Fourth - the Glorious. It is dedicated to St. Catherine. Leopold is one of the most important dukes of historic Austria from the province of Styria. His race - Babenberger race. He participated in a crusade to Egypt in southern France and in Spain against the Moors. He supported the Minnesingers and was the one who gave city rights to Vienna and Salzburg in the 13th century. Translated with Google Translate
28
The most ancient cemetery of Salzburg. The most ancient graves are dated 803 year. It was here that the sister of Mozart Nannerl found her rest. And also Johann Michael Haydn. Translated with Google Translate
29
It is a lovingly preserved ancient abbey mill. It is used to this day and its millstones are rotated by water. Flour goes for baking bread here side by side in one of the oldest bakeries of the city. Translated with Google Translate
30
Stiftsbäckerei St Peter
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Bakery St. Peter has more than 700 years of history. The first mention of the Monastery bakery dates back to the 12th century. To this day, black bread with natural sourdough baking takes place in a wood-burning oven. Rye flour comes from its own water mill, wheat flour from the abbey and Salzachmühle, wood from the forests of St. Peter’s monastery, and water for the mill from Almkanal. These are old vaults that flow from Salzach and were brought to the mountain of monks as early as the 11th century, during the time of the formation of the city. Translated with Google Translate
31
Kapitelschwemme
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Once upon a time a statue of Pegasus decorated the fountain. Today she can be seen in the Mirabell Garden. The place of Pegasus was occupied by a statue of Neptune with a sea horse, and on the sides are newts. The fountain was commissioned by Leopold Anton from Firmyan - Prince of the Archbishop of Salzburg from 1727, as the Latin inscription reads: "LeopoLDVs prInCeps Me eXtrVXIt" ("I was built by Prince Leopold"). another value. If you read the capital letters and take them for Roman numerals, you get: L + L + D + V + I + C + M + X + V + X + I is 1732, this is the year in which the fountain was completed . Translated with Google Translate
32
Chapter Square
Chapter Square
Kapitelplyats is a square in the Old Town of Salzburg, located next to the Salzburg Cathedral and extending to the Fortress. This is one of the largest baroque squares in the city, which was formed outside the fortress wall and allowed the new city to develop. The area is bordered by important buildings, including the current palace of the bishop and several administrative buildings of the University of Salzburg. Translated with Google Translate
33
The Sphere is a composition by contemporary German artist Stefan Balkenhol (b. 1957). A male figure in a white shirt and black trousers is a frequently depicted plot in the works of Stephen. Translated with Google Translate
34
Checkmate square
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
On the square there is a large chess board and many fans of this game have the opportunity to fight in tournaments held in this square. The first official world chess champion is Wilhelm Steinitz. Austrians are proud of him as the first world chess champion by a native of Austria. He was born in the Austro-Hungarian Empire at the beginning of the 190th century in the Jewish quarter of Prague in the family of tailor Josef Solomon Steinitz (Steinitz). Translated with Google Translate
35
Domplatz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The central cathedral of Salzburg is the place where little Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was baptized. Then he played the church piano, and the font where the events took place is shown to tourists. On the facade of the cathedral dates of foundation, restructuring and restoration. The first church founded by Rupert was burned, on the orders of Friedrich Barbarossa, the German king and emperor of the Holy Roman Empire, in retaliation for the local count from the Babenberg dynasty (Austrian princes) refused to recognize Victor the Fifth, nominated by Friedrich, as Pope. Frederick had his scores with the pope. Frederick was pushed into the third crusade, after he had glorified himself in the previous one. Enlisting the support of Richard the Lionheart and Philip Augustus, the Pope managed to persuade Frederick. Reluctantly agreeing, Barbarossa went on a campaign and ingloriously sank in the river on the territory of modern Armenia. And the genus Vitelsbach - the eternal rivals of Babenbergov rebuilt a new cathedral. Translated with Google Translate
36
Marble statue of St. Mary, appeared on the square in the second half of the 18th century and began to personify chastity and purity. It was these elements that complemented the ensemble of sculptures of four evangelists on the pediment of the cathedral and the image of Jesus, Elijah the Prophet and Moses. Translated with Google Translate
37
Residenzgalerie
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Salzburg Gallery is located in the former palace of the residence of the archbishops of the city. The museum contains works by Rembrandt, Rubens, Bruegel and other masters. During the Napoleonic Wars, many works were in France, the opening of the new collection was prevented by the First World War, and after 1923 only borrowed paintings were exhibited in the museum. In 1938, after the Anschluss, the pictures returned to their rightful owners, and the gallery was only able to see the new works after 1952. These were mostly paintings of the XVI-XIX centuries. Today the gallery presents works by Flemish painters from the extensive collection of Count Chernin. Černiny is a noble Bohemian noble family who played an important role in the history of the post of Augsburg Austria. Translated with Google Translate
38
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The area between the two palaces is a real decoration of the city. It originated at the beginning of the 17th century during the dawn of the city. In 1661, the Residenzbrunnen Fountain was erected in the very center of the square. Like many European courtyards, fountains and parks, the Residenzbrunnen was created by Italian architect and sculptor Tammuz di Garson. The height of the marble bowl is almost 15 m. At 7:00, 11:00 and 18:00 over the square you can hear the melodies of Mozart or Haydn. They are played by a carillon of 35 bells, installed on the tower of the New Residence in 1705. The repertoire includes more than 40 compositions. Translated with Google Translate
39
Mozart-denkmal
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
A monument to Mozart by the German sculptor Ludwig von Schwanthaler appeared in the city in the 19th century. Schwantaller comes from a hereditary family of sculptors and is quite famous for Bavaria and Austria. He belongs to the symbolic work of "Bavaria in Munich and the sculpture" Austria "in Vienna. If you look at the monument to Mozart, in the hand of the composer, instead of the corresponding era of the pen, Schwantaller depicted a pen. Maybe this is a hint that the notes of the great composer will always be relevant? Translated with Google Translate
40
The Museum of Christmas ", as well as the neighboring Glockenspiel café, is a private business of the Kloyder family. Ursula Kloiber collected everything related to the Christmas theme and dates from 1840 to 1940. These are postcards, decorations, garlands, festive decor items, calendars. In search exhibits for her collection Ursula traveled half of Europe, something was brought even from the United States. Translated with Google Translate
41
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Not far from the museum, the theme of which is associated with the birth of a Jewish boy, is a Jewish street. It was the Jewish ghetto of Salzburg. It existed until 1498, when the next expulsion of the Jews took place this time inspired by the Spanish Isabella and Ferdinand. Despite this event, 22 years later, in 1520, 5 years after the start of Langom’s rule and 5 years before the big peasant uprising, a sign on the corner of the former Jewish street and the old Town Hall, known in medieval Germany as Judensau. This is an image of a pig feeding Jewish babies. It was dismantled during the reign of the city of Archbishop Jerome Koloredsky in 1785 - the time of revolution in Paris and the writing of the Marriage of Figaro to Mozart. Translated with Google Translate
42
Café altstadt
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
At the site of the house, near which we are located, in the times of Friedrich Barboros, external fortifications were built in front of the city gates. Behind them - behind the city wall began the Jewish quarter. When the city grew, the Jewish quarter was inside the city walls, sandwiched between the brewery and the city council house. Today in the house of the brewery Hans Laubinger since 1423 is located the Altstadt Hotel - Old Town. Translated with Google Translate
43
We are still on a Jewish street. Ironically, there are a lot of shops with Christmas themes on it. Soon there will be a turn to the left in a small alley, and in front of it, for those who are already hungry, there is a good meat restaurant Maredo. On this visit to Salzburg, I was not in it. But I remember well the last time I liked everything. Translated with Google Translate
44
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The old market square was located within the city walls and was the main market of the city in the XIII century. With the development of the city, with the plague experienced by the epidemic, with the abolition of burghers' arbitrariness and generally bringing order to the city, ten years before the expulsion of the Jews, in 1488 a fountain of St. Florian appeared on the market square. Not without reason, it was precisely this holy martyr that was chosen during these years. The end of the 15th century brings not only economic growth to the city, but also strengthens the authority of the church. If the most ancient holy martyrs of Salzburg are Maxim and his disciples, and their history is filled with hopeless tragedy, then the legend of Saint Florian is much older and filled with wonderful revelations. Florian was a Roman soldier who served in the province of Norik. The one that Odokart will depose. Florian secretly accepted Christianity, and hearing that they were going to execute Christians in Lorch (not far from Linz), he went there. Florian could not ask for the unfortunate, because he himself was captured, pulled out the shoulder blades and put on the neck of the millstone, drowned in the river. But the body did not disappear, but was miraculously saved, and the eagle protected it and the burial happened and everything was fine. Feel the difference between the tragedy and the hopelessness of the stories of the VII and VIII centuries and almost romanticism of the beginning of the XVI-th century? Translated with Google Translate
45
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Opposite the Florian's Fountain is the oldest cafe of Salzburg, and, they say, the whole of Austria - "Tomaselli". The date of foundation is indicated on the facade - 1703. The cafe changed its owners several times, until in 1852 Karl Tomaselli became its owner. They say that now the cafe is managed by the 5th generation of the family. In the cafe you need to order for dessert the Salzburg Nokern, which symbolizes 3 hills (Mönchsberg, Kapuzinerberg and Rainberg), surrounding the center of Salzburg. This is just what I wanted to do, but it turned out that you need to book a place in advance. I did not want to wait, did not want to go back to Steak House, and we just went on. Translated with Google Translate
46
Juwelier Nedoluha - Salzburg
Juwelier Nedoluha - Salzburg
Nearby sheltered the narrowest house of Salzburg - it was built in the middle of the XIX century. between two houses and has a width of just 1.42 m. Translated with Google Translate
47
Old City Hall (Altes Rathaus)
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The building of the old town hall in Salzburg originally belonged to the noble family of Keitzl. In 1407, the city council bought this house and housed the Town Hall. A tower appeared above the building, on the side facing the city, a clock that informed the citizens about the time of the day, and at night, the side facing the river performed guard functions. Since the time of Prince Archbishop Mattheus Lang, the rights of the city council were severely infringed. In addition to performing legal, representative and public functions, the city council practically did not play a serious role in the political and economic life of the city. Translated with Google Translate
48
True, the town hall began to fulfill the role of a public center. Weddings were held on the square and a special wedding dance became an urban tradition. Still, it is said that because of the proximity to the river through the town hall and its square, the butchers came out to wash the bull carcasses to Zalc. Hence, one of the joking nicknames of Salzburger residents is bull washers. Remember Yodel? Translated with Google Translate
49
Mozart's Birthplace
Mozart's Birthplace
The house in which Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born on January 27, 1756. 26 years in a row, since 1747, the Mozart family lived in an apartment on the third floor. Together with his parents Leopold and Anna Maria, as well as his sister Nannerl, Mozart spent his childhood and youth here. In 1773, the family moved to the Mozart Apartment Building on Sq. Makartplatz. Translated with Google Translate
50
This cozy courtyard is a perfect example of how the streets in the lower city are arranged. The open streets stretching along the river are connected by passages under the houses in the center of which are courtyards. One of the most remarkable places in this courtyard is a spice shop. It is from cloves, dried lemon, lavadna and rosemary that these “decorations” are created. Translated with Google Translate
51
Grünmarkt
Grünmarkt
University Square is one of the most popular tourist sites of Salzburg. Despite its name, three days a week - Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the square before noon turns into one big market. On it you can see a real village fair, which attracts farmers from all over the region. In addition to products, you can buy various handicrafts and unusual handmade souvenirs. Translated with Google Translate
52
Universitätsplatz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
The main decoration of the University Square is the Colleginkirche University Church. It was built at the beginning of the XVIII century and still eloquently testifies to the scale of secular power, which until the beginning of the XIX century was in the hands of the clergy and the prince-archbishops. The collegiate is probably one of the most magnificent temples of Salzburg. From the University Square there are numerous small streets that you can get into the Old Zernovoy Lane of Salzburg. This is the most picturesque area of ​​the city, in which numerous residential houses of the XV-XVIII centuries are preserved. Translated with Google Translate
53
Juwelier nadler
Juwelier nadler
Old Grain Lane Salzburg. This is the most picturesque area of ​​the city, in which numerous residential houses of the XV-XVIII centuries are preserved. At the end of this street there is a church and one of the city gates that go under the mountain of Monks. Translated with Google Translate
54
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Archbishop Frederick III created in 1327 the Salzburg Civil Hospital. It was the first half of the terrible XIV century, when the plague claimed a third of the lives of city dwellers. The townspeople provided the sick with food, and as a result, she was called a "civil hospital." The church, built in 1330, was closely associated with the hospital. Both the church and the hospital sheltered at the very foot of Möchberg (Monastic Mountain) at the very end of Gotredegasse. The church was dedicated to Saint Blaise, who lived in the IV century. He healed physical and mental ills. Sufferers from all over the world came to him. But by order of the emperor Licinius, Blaise, as a Christian, was captured and imprisoned. After cruel torture, he was beheaded and killed. The interior of the church is as modest as its exterior. The gilded tabernacle carved in wood to the left of the main altar of the church is a work of art. It probably served as a repository of relics. Dated 1460, the tabernacle was most likely made by “Masters from Mauterndorf”. Translated with Google Translate
55
Heimatkunst lackner
Heimatkunst lackner
Here, on one of the old buildings, there is a painting of the cornice. One can only imagine what medieval Salzburg looked like. And yet, in the building itself, as if echoing with the eaves, there is the most famous antique store in the city. Translated with Google Translate
56
Sternarkaden
Sternarkaden
This pleasant park, comfortable benches and cozy tables, as well as a huge banquet hall on several levels, belong to the same owner and are the largest not only in Salzburg, but also in Austria as a whole. Here are the most fun Oktoberfest and the noisiest holidays and memorable events. Translated with Google Translate
57
Usually, I avoid such places. They say that you can expect from the catering factory type. All at the industrial level. But ... something still hooked in this place and we found a table in a quiet place. Under the canopy of chestnut. Translated with Google Translate
58
All fears were dispelled by themselves, and service, food and atmosphere exceeded all expectations. It was tasty and welcoming. Checked, no min. Translated with Google Translate
59
At the corner of the house black metal plates, stylized as stone fortresses, really depict a fortress wall. Moreover, two parallel lines on the pavement show the direction of this wall. Close to her were attached houses from the city. Translated with Google Translate
60
Salzburg hanuschplatz
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Ferdinand-Hanus-Platz intersects with Griesgasse and is an important transportation hub. Salbourg Square is known as a get-together for punks and freaks. For many aesthetes, connoisseurs of Mozart and Baroque, this square is identified with the typical Salzburg controversy, which adds a piquancy and elegant atmosphere of liberalism and pluralism. The square was named after Ferdinand Hanush, a Social Democrat who lived between 1866 and 1923. He is considered an important literary figure and a key player in the Austrian history of socialism. From here the pedestrian bridge to the opposite bank is perfectly visible. Translated with Google Translate
61
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
In this part of the preserved fragments of log houses. For example, in the Grisgasse House 8 there is a medallion with an inscription that mentions the local family of Doppler masons, of which the most famous was physicist Christian Doppler. House Griesgasse 11 still contains parts of the old city walls, including a small watchtower. House number 15 was once used as a house for the poor and elderly people, and in house number 21 the chief blacksmith of the city once lived (“Stadchmiede”). Translated with Google Translate
62
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
This street is named after Sebastian Stef. He would be the son of Joseph and Elizabeth Stef - clothing merchants. The boy's talent was noticed when he painted with charcoal or chalk portraits of teachers and classmates on the walls or doors of a warehouse with clothes. Eye disease forced him to interrupt his studies in Munich with the famous painter Peter von Cornelius. However, thanks to his pronounced talent for the portrait, Sebastian received instructions from the Bavarian King Ludwig I to draw portraits of his son and two daughters. The son of the king, Otto will be the first king of Greece. After his parents died, Stef inherited a tin toy factory. But the artist refused this inheritance and in 1839 he moved to a house in Pfefergasse 4 in Salzburg, where he lived with his family. Sebastian Steif died on July 29, 1889 in Salzburg and was buried in the family crypt in the cemetery near the church of St. Peter. Translated with Google Translate
63
Nonnbergstiege
Uploaded by Evgeny Praisman
Our day walk through Salzburg is coming to an end. No matter how charming the city is in its baroque beauty, its spirit and its life are the Catholic Church. She created a city, she gave him a name, she inspired its inhabitants to build, music, painting, architecture. And, as if completing the circle, having just recently mentioned the church of St. Peter in connection with the resting place of many famous Salzburgerians, we see before us the Nonnenberg monastery. The one who founded Rupert’s sister, the one in whom the main character of “The Sound of Music” was a nun. As everything is intertwined in this city, sounds, words, smells, tastes and traditions. Until new meetings, Salzburg. Translated with Google Translate
64
One of the inexpensive parking in the city. Maybe because not in the center. 50 cents half an hour, 10 euros a day. If you lost a ticket (like me), then on the machine there is a button for personal communication. They answer immediately, speak English and help pay the daily rate. Translated with Google Translate
Don't waste time for planning
Use detailed routes created by your friends and professionals.
Don't be afraid to get lost in new places!
Pinsteps - globe travel application. Travel pictures.
Don't waste time for planning
Open the world with experience of your friends and professionals without any fear.
Share
Send
Send