The Tuileries is one of the two oldest parks in Paris. Both parks were built during the reign of Maria de Medici. The Luxembourg Gardens is considered the second oldest park. It is located in front of the former Chateau Marie de Medici, and today is the seat of the French Parliament. The gardens were used for different purposes. There was horse riding, cabaret, entertainment, and even a silkworm farm. In 1667 Charles Perrault, the author of The Sleeping Beauty and other fairy tales, was solicited before the king to open the garden to the public. Permission was obtained, except for beggars and soldiers. It was the first royal garden in history to be open to the public. In this garden, Napoleon's wedding procession with an Austrian princess took place, and after the defeat of Napoleon's army, English and Russian soldiers camped in it.
Panoramic view of the Tuileries Gardens.