The city council's "liberating duma", under the guidance of Ippolit Dyakov, embarked on numerous construction and improvement programs in Kyiv at the start of the 20th century, funding their endeavours mainly through bond loans. However, these efforts weren't without controversy. The creation of Petrovskaya Alley and the Park Bridge over it became one of the most scandalous projects due to the high expenditure and perceived personal enrichment of some city officials.
The practical actions for the Park Bridge construction started in the summer of 1909, with Professor Evgeny Paton tasked to design a pedestrian bridge. In the same season, Kyiv contractor Nikolai Smirnov agreed with the city to manufacture and install all the metallic parts of the bridge according to Paton's project. Anton Straus' famous pile-driving piles were used to ensure the stability of the bridge supports. Following the installation of the metal structures and subsequent earthworks, the alley was laid down in the spring and summer of 1910, leading to the Dnipro riverbank. After the successful completion of the final tests in November 1910, the alley was named in honour of Peter the Great, but the name "Petrovskaya Alley" has become more popular.