Places to visit

Masa Jerusalem


Walk through the old city of Jerusalem. From Yafsky gates to the garbage gates. The Jerusalem Museum from the time of the Second Khrami and a burnt house. Wall of Tears. Translated with Google Translate

Author & Co-authors
Evgeny Praisman (author)
Здравствуйте! Меня зовут Женя, я путешественник и гид. Здесь я публикую свои путешествия и путеводители по городам и странам. Вы можете воспользоваться ими, как готовыми путеводителями, так и ресурсом для создания собственных маршрутов. Некоторые находятся в свободном доступе, некоторые открываются по промо коду. Чтобы получить промо код напишите мне сообщение на телефон +972 537907561 или на и я с радостью вам помогу! Иначе, зачем я всё это делаю?
13.51 km
3h 0 m
Places with media

The Yafa Gate of the Old City in Jerusalem got its name from the road to the port of Jaffa and the Mediterranean coast that starts here. To the right of the gate in 1898, the Turks made a wide gap, which is visible even now, so that Kaiser Wilhelm could freely enter the city in his carriage. In 1917, the commander of British troops, General Allenby, entered the Old City through the Yafsky Gate on foot in deference to the city and wanting to avoid comparison with the Kaiser. Translated with Google Translate

Christ Church is located in the Old City of Jerusalem. It was built in 1849 by the London Jewish community. The purpose of the organization was to introduce the Jews to the Christian faith. Jewish symbols and texts found in the church remind us that Judaism and Christianity have been closely related since ancient times. The community at the Church of Christ consists of foreigners who came to serve in Israel and the local population (both Jews and Arabs). The English-speaking community also provides services in Hebrew. They celebrate both Jewish and Christian holidays. In 2008, the Gafcon Jerusalem Declaration was approved by the Church of Christ. Today, the Church works closely with the Anglican Church in the United States, Britain, Uganda and South Africa. There is also a dining room, a small hostel and a museum. Translated with Google Translate

Lane of the first hospital in Jerusalem Translated with Google Translate

The Church of St. Mark is located in the northeastern part of the Armenian Quarter of the Old City in Jerusalem. The monastery of St. Mark belongs to the community of the Syrian Christian church. It was built in the 12th century on the ruins of a 4th century church. At this place, it is believed, stood the house of Mary, the mother of John, called St. Mark, and is the oldest Christian church. According to another version, the Last Supper took place at this place. This is evidenced by the inscription on the stone at the entrance to the church in the ancient Syriac language (the Aramaic dialect), found in 1940 during restoration. The interior of the church is decorated with a gilded altar, a portrait of St. Mark, as well as a picture of the Virgin Mary with the Child, according to the tradition, painted by the Evangelist Luke. Translated with Google Translate

Cardo - This was the name of the main street, the center of the economic life of the Romans in Elia Capitolina - a city built by the Roman emperor Hadrian on the site of destroyed Jerusalem at the beginning of the II century. In the open part of the street, the pavement was restored, under which the sewage system, the sidewalk with a number of columns and arches passed. In addition to religious and archaeological sites, the Cardo area is replete with restaurants and shops selling souvenirs, gifts, Judaica and decorations between Ha-Yehudim Street and Chabad Street. Translated with Google Translate

The Archaeological Museum (Rova Irodiani) of the quarter of the time of Herod the Great is a large-scale excavation, which was carried out from 1968 to 1983. Here were found the ruins of buildings from the reign of King Herod the Great, preserved in good condition. Being ambiguously priced in history for his religious and ethnic views, King Herod, however, left behind the greatest and most prominent buildings and projects. Archaeologists discovered 6 buildings, 3 of them were preserved better than the rest, and allow you to contemplate ancient frescoes, mosaics. Even furniture, stoves, dishes, various household items and much more have been preserved. All exhibits are provided with the support of modern technologies - lighting in the right places, audio-visual presentations, photos of the times of excavation. At the moment, about 2,500 square meters have been cleared. m., and the excavation continues. Translated with Google Translate

The Burned House Museum is the ruins of a structure found during excavations. According to the artifacts discovered, the house belonged to the famous Jewish family Katros, which is mentioned in the Talmud. The reason for this is the found weight, on which the name of the Jewish priest was engraved. The museum shows visitors several rooms, which were bedrooms, as well as a bathhouse where the ablutions were held. The exhibits relate to the period of the Second Temple and the time when the army of the Romans entered Jerusalem, as a result of which the Katros house was burned, and many buildings of the city were burned or destroyed. Apparently, the house was more than what was discovered as a result of the excavations, but further excavations are not possible, because other structures have been erected in their place, and many secrets of those times will still be hidden from humanity. The film is shown in the museum. Translated with Google Translate

Judaism does not imply the holiness of any specific place, the whole universe is holy - the creation of the Creator. At the same time, the Jerusalem Temple was the only place of prayer and service of the whole people, where the concept of cult, national community and spiritual purity was sacred. The first Temple of Jerusalem was built by King Solomon in the 10th century BC. ne After the destruction of the First Temple of Nebuchadnezzar in the 6th century BC, the Jews, returning from their captivity, erected the Second Temple of Jerusalem, which existed until the 70th year of the first century AD when was destroyed by the Romans. Approximately 80 years before the destruction of the Temple by Roman troops under the command of the future emperor of the Roman Empire, Titus, King Herod the Great, erected retaining walls around the temple mountain, expanding and leveling the area around the Temple and creating an architectural complex unprecedented in scale and beauty. These walls exist to this day. The section of the western wall has been a place of prayer since the 2nd century AD. and continues to be so to this day. Today this place is known as the Wailing Wall. The first and second temples were destroyed on the same day of the calendar - 9 Av. This is the day of mourning, in which near the Western Wall mourn the destruction of the temple. This tradition has led to the fact that in many languages, the Western Wall has been called the Wailing Wall. The tradition of leaving notes in the gaps between the stones of the wall, goes back to the Jewish sage Rabbi Haim Ben Atar, who commanded his disciple to do so, who soon descended to grace. It is said that the very act of writing a note forms a person’s faith and hope, which materializes due to the collective energy of good, faith and love that can work wonders. Millions of people from all over the world come to Jerusalem every year to see the Wailing Wall and write a note or simply ask the Almighty for well-being and prosperity. Translated with Google Translate

The Garbage Gate is one of the entrances to the Old Town, and its disreputable name received, apparently, for the reason that it was through this opening in the wall that the garbage was taken out of the Temple. It is assumed that the current location of the gate does not coincide with the ancients. There are several opinions about the origin of the gate and their name. According to one version, garbage was taken out through them, according to another - a hole in the wall remained after the invasion of the Crusaders. Today, these gates have been expanded, but they are still the smallest of all that exist in the Old Town. This is the closest and convenient road leading to the Wailing Wall. It is noteworthy that next to the Garbage Gates, there are one more, rarely where mentioned. In width and height, they are even smaller than these, and are currently not used at all. However, excavations along the walls are underway, and archaeologists will find quite a few new artifacts explaining the secrets of the Old City. Translated with Google Translate

The Israeli State Congress Hall, better known as Binyani Haum, was built in 1956. During more than 60 years of its operation, the building was rebuilt and reconstructed several times. The total area of the modern complex of the Israeli State Congress Hall is 34.000 m². Initially, the building was conceived as a center for holding world Jewish congresses and conventions. The initiator of its construction was the Jewish Agency Sohnut. The building, called the Palace of the Nation, was designed by renowned Israeli architect Zeev Rechter, who won first place in the international competition for the best project in 1949. For 10 years, from 1950 to 1960, the building was under construction. Due to financial difficulties, it was never built and received the nickname Ruins of the Nation. However, this did not prevent the World Zionist Congress in 1951 from being held in an unfinished building. In 1958, the building hosted an exhibition of achievements of the national economy, dedicated to the tenth anniversary of the creation of the state of Israel. Since then, the building has become a permanent center for conventions, congresses, fairs and speeches. People from different countries meet here, American presidents perform here, the Eurovision contest is held in this building, and the most important governmental and national events take place in this building. The architecture of the building expressed an attempt to show the historic event of the creation of the State of Israel as a world center for the Jewish people who had been in exile and wandering for 2,000 years. The building is built as a monumental structure on a high cliff and is lined with stone on all sides except for the facade. The facade of the building was supposed to decorate the historical bas-relief of the work of sculptors Yosif Zaritsky and Itzhak Danziger. However, this did not happen in 1995. the facade of the building was covered with blue glass which reflected the skies. So in the architecture of one of the most iconic buildings of the modern capital of the state of Israel reflected the eternal historical beauty of the white Jerusalem stone and blue sky. Translated with Google Translate

Don't waste time for planning
Use detailed routes created by your friends and professionals.
Don't be afraid to get lost in new places!
Pinsteps - globe travel application. Travel pictures.
Don't waste time for planning
Open the world with experience of your friends and professionals without any fear.
This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience